Reef nutrition

Battery Back up pumps

This is the one I am using and I am happy with it. APS750
I have 2 - 6v golf cart batteries in series for 12 volts.
INVERTER POWER (AC): Maintains PWM sine wave output voltage of 120 V AC (+/-5%).

It will run my return pump for over 8 hours automatically.
You can run as many batteries as you want for your amp hour needs.
You can shop around online and get them for about $280 and then you have to buy your battery

I have a few of those rattle boxes as well. They sound like they are tearing themselves apart :lol:

I am also in the market for a battery backup for my Koralia 1 and Koralia 4 pumps. Someone recommended one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NOMA-XPower-PowerSource-400-Watt-Back-up-Power-Solution_W0QQitemZ350217730137QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_UPS?hash=item518a9a7859

I'm curious to know how long the backup battery will last on a power outage if it's powering the Koralia 1 and Koralia 4. I've never experienced a longer power outage of more than 5-6 hours in my area.

I doubt that UPS is a true sine wave. I highly suspect it's a modified sine wave and not suitable for pumps, heaters and non "electronic" devices ("electronic" devices = computers, printers, stuff that runs off of transformers and wall warts, etc)

I would be tempted to say that even a modified sine wave would be ok for a heater. I'm trying to picture circuitry on how it wouldn't be. A pump however, is a given :D

I'll need to ask but it had to do with heating coils and motors. Guess I'll email Bill (beananimal). I usually defer to him on this one.

JAR said:
This is the one I am using and I am happy with it. APS750
I have 2 - 6v golf cart batteries in series for 12 volts.
INVERTER POWER (AC): Maintains PWM sine wave output voltage of 120 V AC (+/-5%).

It will run my return pump for over 8 hours automatically.
You can run as many batteries as you want for your amp hour needs.
You can shop around online and get them for about $280 and then you have to buy your battery

My power was out for 3 1/2 hours this morning.
I dragged out the generator, plugged it in, turned on the coffee pot and the power came on!
In the meantime the modified sine wave was trashing my return pump.

Agree gresh on the motor coils. For the heating, it is just a resistive element. I can see how a non true sine wave may heat slightly differently (different rate) but it should still heat without failure/damage. Perhaps if the temp was regulated with a "digital" circuit, then maybe.

Whoops, APC.

This sucker:
http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SUA1500JB&total_watts=50

Back