Neptune Aquatics

Battery backup

The_Lazy_Reefer

Supporting Member
So I’m honestly so stoked on this product and maybe most of you know about it by now due to telegrahm but I bought 1 new and just bought another used cause for 129$ why the hell not. For reference this thing is pass through and will run my 34watt return pump for 4 hours automatically after a power outage. You can daisy chain them(only 2 per their rec) so I’ll now have 8 hours of return pump glory for less that 400$

Attachments

• IMG_3165.png
    IMG_3165.png
    91.5 KB · Views: 19
You can also buy some models at Costco. I created a spreadsheet awhile back to figure out the relative costs of these versus powerwalls and enphase batteries.

The best ROI is the big units, because you can get the federal credits. However some ecoflows were pretty good $/kw, and have a much lower total investment cost.

If anyone wants the sheet message me. It's in my Google drive.

You can also buy some models at Costco. I created a spreadsheet awhile back to figure out the relative costs of these versus powerwalls and enphase batteries.

The best ROI is the big units, because you can get the federal credits. However some ecoflows were pretty good $/kw, and have a much lower total investment cost.

If anyone wants the sheet message me. It's in my Google drive.
That’s awesome I would definitely be interested in seeing the sheet so send it my way forsure, I’d assume the biggest is usually the best deal but for most reefers that’s a stretch so I was excited to see something this beneficial to such a low upfront cost.

That’s awesome I would definitely be interested in seeing the sheet so send it my way forsure, I’d assume the biggest is usually the best deal but for most reefers that’s a stretch so I was excited to see something this beneficial to such a low upfront cost.
Shoot me a message with Google account info.

How does one of these differ from like a traditional APC UPS?
I think the main difference is they have a lot of battery storage, and are designed to be portable. The big ones also allow you to connect multiple together, and you can even run it as a full house battery (basically like a generator).

Here's a screenshot. The install prices I was guessing at the cost of getting an automatic transfer switch installed, with a permit. The powerwall and enphase numbers are from real quotes from installers.

1000004421.png

Last edited:
I got two of the EcoFlow RIVER 2 Max a while back after seeing Telegrahams recommendation. Nice little batteries! It came out to $478 for both which is a good deal

Shoot me a message with Google account info.

I think the main difference is they have a lot of battery storage, and are designed to be portable. The big ones also allow you to connect multiple together, and you can even run it as a full house battery (basically like a generator).

Here's a screenshot. The install prices I was guessing at the cost of getting an automatic transfer switch installed, with a permit. The powerwall and enphase numbers are from real quotes from installers.

View attachment 54052
I got two of the EcoFlow RIVER 2 Max a while back after seeing Telegrahams recommendation. Nice little batteries! It came out to $478 for both which is a good deal

Interesting - can these EcoFlow units be plugged in full time, basically inline with my return/flow pumps and maintain seamless power delivery in the event of an outage (similar to a UPS)?

That’s not super clear after reading the product page on Amazon.

Edit - appears that they can be used this way. Although it’s described as “almost instant” which implies there is some hiccup in power delivery. Not the end of the world I suppose. @MarcosDelgado0 do you have experience with this yet?

Interesting - can these EcoFlow units be plugged in full time, basically inline with my return/flow pumps and maintain seamless power delivery in the event of an outage (similar to a UPS)?

That’s not super clear after reading the product page on Amazon.

Edit - appears that they can be used this way. Although it’s described as “almost instant” which implies there is some hiccup in power delivery. Not the end of the world I suppose. @MarcosDelgado0 do you have experience with this yet?

Post in thread 'UPS for short duration (5-10 min)'
https://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/ups-for-short-duration-5-10-min.35159/post-499498

Excellent - thanks Randy!

Based on how my Hydros is configured, I can plug just the WaveEngine unit into the EcoFlow, and if the power goes down only my pumps will draw power. The 2kwh Delta 2 will run both my returns and both my gyres for 20+ hours! I could even add one of my heaters to this and still get 5-7 hours out of it. Plenty of time to get home/wake up/whatever and then get the LP generator up and running.

I think I will go this route - just need to find a good spot for it. It's not small.

Are you having tesla install?
yep, but right now everything is on hold due to a existing solar permit, appearly i need to renew my permit in order for tesla team to move forward. it was PITA dealing with the city and endless delays and run arounds

yep, but right now everything is on hold due to a existing solar permit, appearly i need to renew my permit in order for tesla team to move forward. it was PITA dealing with the city and endless delays and run arounds
What do you mean? You have existing color but had to re open the permit to add to the existing solar?

Last edited:
So I’m honestly so stoked on this product and maybe most of you know about it by now due to telegrahm but I bought 1 new and just bought another used cause for 129$ why the hell not. For reference this thing is pass through and will run my 34watt return pump for 4 hours automatically after a power outage. You can daisy chain them(only 2 per their rec) so I’ll now have 8 hours of return pump glory for less that 400$

I bought one of these a few weeks ago based on Telegrahams raving reviews. Seems like much more advanced than the APC UPC I have. Also, the APC UPS have a the old battery type/lead acid in there which needs replacement every three years or so according to Telegraham, vs this holds the power for a long time apparently @derek_SR FYI.

There is also a post from him that lays out what you would need if you added a heater to this, where most of these even the larger ones would by far not be sufficient, unless you have a nano tank maybe. My 600 watts and/or two 500 watts redundant heaters would use up the energy from even the 2KWH Delta too quickly. So not useful for heaters in a slightly larger system. Still, maybe a good idea for the nano tank where the temp changes quicker? I have one APC UPS for my nano and plugged in the 100 watts heater and it did well for the few times there was an outage.

Maybe I am looking at this the wrong way, but they are really only helpful for a few hours until you can plug in your generator. Having an oversized version does not seem to be helpful if you cannot plug in the heater, and a setup that Rich and others have connected to your house seem to be much more useful if temperature is a concern (which will be after a few hours?), and you are too far away to connect your generator.

What do you mean? You have existing color but had to re open the permit to add to the existing solar?
Right my current solar had an building permit for it but it expired, in ordered for Tesla battery team to install battery and connect my solar, they will need to have my exiting solar permit ready once they wrap up and city does the final inspection

Back