Cali Kid Corals

Beating Cyano - ULNS

nimrod

Supporting Member
Hi all,

I know there's a bunch of posts on the Internet about this and probably a 100 different ways people have fought cyano and won but I am interested what the BAR people think. My last Hanna test puts my PO4 at 0.03 and Nitrate at 1.5. Not really trying to run ULNS, but I have an autofeeder that feeds 4x a day and I do a big feeding at night plus aminos, but the Nitrates don't ever go up.

I've been battling a bad case of red cyanobacteria for about a month now. I run full Triton and about 2 weeks ago, sent in an ICP and N-DOC test. Nothing in the test was off except for the cyano which I mentioned and it recommended a dose of CYA-NO. I'm on dose 4 and nothing has happened yet. Triton recommends to stop dosing after dose 7 if nothing happens.

If CYA-NO fails I was going to try to use Chemiclean but really am hesitant to do so. Anyway, any success stories out there?

I tried to view the red algae under a microscope:

IMG-1813.jpg

IMG-1814.jpg

I've had it off and on in almost every tank since I started. It's just ugly and doesn't really cause any ill effects that I've been able to notice. You can blow it off with a turkey baster, siphon, then do lights out for a few days to get any you miss.

I've had it off and on in almost every tank since I started. It's just ugly and doesn't really cause any ill effects that I've been able to notice. You can blow it off with a turkey baster, siphon, then do lights out for a few days to get any you miss.
That makes sense. If nothing happens, I guess I can just wait it out to go away. I really try not to have additional things to 'dose' into the tank if possible.

I have no clue... Can you skip a day or 2 or 3 of aminos without causing harm? I might try that and see if I can visually notice cyano recession without other ill effects. But @Coral reefer has a good low impact idea and has tons of experience.

I have no clue... Can you skip a day or 2 or 3 of aminos without causing harm? I might try that and see if I can visually notice cyano recession without other ill effects. But @Coral reefer has a good low impact idea and has tons of experience.
I’ve never used them on any of my tanks, so you don’t need them for sure. Would going from adding to not make a difference I can’t say. I wouldn’t think so tho. I’ve never heard them being correlated to cyano tho either. Have you? Or just spitballing?

I’ve never used them on any of my tanks, so you don’t need them for sure. Would going from adding to not make a difference I can’t say. I wouldn’t think so tho. I’ve never heard them being correlated to cyano tho either. Have you? Or just spitballing?

Totally spitballing. The aminos are my unknown, I don't have experience with them other than what might be in high quality fish food.

Forgot to mention my strawberry conch also eats some, but none of the like old thick mats, just the new bits. My Buan's goby has been actively nipping it and has a huge belly all day, but the thing is literally only 1 inch long so far.

Back