High Tide Aquatics

Bees?

jonmedina

Supporting Member
So a swarm of bees (that I suspect, but can't prove) came from my neighbor's neglected hive descended on my house two days ago and immediately popped into my wood siding, about 25' up the side of my house. I'm trying to do the responsible thing, called the local beekeeper society and they said they'll collect it if it's an active swarm like in a clump, but because it went into my siding I need a professional bee remover. Professional bee remover came yesterday and said he needs scaffolding and all this stuff and it's going to be $7200. I get that bees are at risk right now, but $7200 is nothing to sneeze at for some bees that have only been there for 2 days.

I'm not sure of other options. Any experience on here, or know of any other humane bee removal services?

I am assuming it is a swarm of European bees?

Technically speaking...they are invasive. Soooo...

I am a bee loving fool btw. I wish I had the bandwidth in my life to keep some colonies.

So let's hope nobody takes my response too negatively. With that said, I see absolutely no reason why you need to be spending an insane amount of money like that to deal with what could become a much larger problem if you just leave then alone.

One possible method you can attempt is to make the space they want, more trouble than it's worth. Spraying with water intermittently. Spraying with strong essential oils near and into their entry way. The list goes on ways to try and make them move. Sometimes, they can be so incredibly stubborn though.

Thanks guys - I'm going through all the humane options before I start exploring the others, but ultimately it may be me wearing three hoodies and a couple covid masks climbing up the house with some borax and dish soap.

I paid $200 or so to get someone to clear several medium size yellow jacket nest on the eaves. It’s 2 story high. I tried to spray the nest ( aerosol on a long pole ). When they start to swarm, I run for my life! Can’t imagine if I’m on a ladder. Not fun.

Back