High Tide Aquatics

Best aquarium tongs ?

I seem to go through aquarium tongs every year due to them breaking, cable rusting in the interior, etc. Is there a particular brand that is sturdier ?

Jim, I use one that is stainless steel and looks like a 24" giant tweezer. It has held up really well so far, but I rinse with fresh water and dry it after each use. There's only a little bit of discoloration in one area and I've been using it for a year. I don't recall the exact name of the place I got it from, but I think it was something like Arizona Aquatic Supply ... basically an online place that caters to the freshwater aquascaping and plant crowd.

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Flora-Stainless-Steel-Planting/dp/B004H1MV5A
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12038&rel=1

These are what ReefKoi and Aqua Exotic sell:

http://reefkoi.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=3446

3%20pack.jpg

Aqua Exotic picked up all sizes from ReefKoi last week.

Nice topic, Jim! I took a set of old SS tweezers I used for freshwater and dipped it in Plasti Dip, which is carried at TAP Plastics. I am just too lazy to rinse with freshwater after every use.

These types of grabbers can be found at Daiso and Chinatown. Unfortunately as you mentioned, Jim, the cables inside rust over time.
grabber_zps459d599e.jpg

Trying to find a more permanent solution I've looked at US Plastic's labware section, but so far have yet to find one with a decent reach.

What about coating those SS ones with rubber spray/dip?
I use jumbo chopsticks but your tank is a little deeper than mine!

lattehiatus said:
Nice topic, Jim! I took a set of old SS tweezers I used for freshwater and dipped it in Plasti Dip, which is carried at TAP Plastics. I am just too lazy to rinse with freshwater after every use.

These types of grabbers can be found at Daiso and Chinatown. Unfortunately as you mentioned, Jim, the cables inside rust over time.
grabber_zps459d599e.jpg

Trying to find a more permanent solution I've looked at US Plastic's labware section, but so far have yet to find one with a decent reach.

Hmmm...I might swing by Daiso in DC.

gimmito said:
iCon said:
What about coating those SS ones with rubber spray/dip?
I use jumbo chopsticks but your tank is a little deeper than mine!

Lance mentioned using long bamboo chop sticks for servicing tanks.

I'm guessing the ones I have are 20" for all of 1.99 or whatever it is :D

If anyone can locate longer ones, those would be useful. This whole getting your hands wet thing is annoying

650-IS350 said:
LMAO Plasti Dip, folks using that on their cars.... is the chemicals used in plasti dip reefsafe? they don't leach out chemicals?

Folks have been using Plasti Dip to coat neodymium magnets without adverse effects in the long term, and it was being used at Steinhart in another application. I believe it is similar to PVC solvent - once cured it is chemically inert.

LOL were you one of those folks who Plasti Dipped your car? If I didn't have black powder-coated wheels I might consider Plasti Dipping them, brake dust is a PITA to scrub off.

Back