Jestersix

Best way to clean dead LR and LS

Thanks Anthony! Any suggestions on bleach concentration, soak-time, and other procedures?

I plan on using 2 44 gallon Brute containers for the whole deal. Is there any chance the bleach might soak into the containers as well?

The problem with bleach, is that you have to get rid of all the chlorine residue. Peroxide and Oxyclean do not have these problems. Both are strong peroxide oxidizers. I've only used peroxide but Jeremy has stated many times on success with oxyclean.

Just rinse the sand for a while, you'll lose the super fine stuff that will float, but that shouldn't be a problem compared to the majority of gunk.

As for rock... I dunno, when you find something that works let me know, currently I just have it stacked in my sump, any decaying stuff on there can do so in peace, of course all the sponges and feather dusters and other misc "dark" creatures that form on it is just more life :D

Thanks Mike. So here's what I plan on doing:

Dead Sand
- Dump everything in a 44 Gal Brute container
- Using tapwater only, rinse out sand until water is clear
- Once water is clear, dump in some Prime to dechlor and let sit till everything settles.
- Once everything settles, dump out the water and transfer sand to tank. (Will probably do this over the course of several weeks, adding a small amount each day)

Dead Rock
- Same procedures as LS, but after dechlor, will cure w/ SW for 2 weeks. Powerhead and heater will be used during curing process. Container will be covered completely.
- After curing is completed, will add rocks to tank all at once.

How does the above look? If anyone has suggestions on how to include peroxide/Oxyclean, please let me know.

Thanks all.

Back