Jestersix

Bfirecat's Impromptu 14g Peninsula

I’m curious to hear how it goes. I took a similar approach to a bucket I cycled some new rocks in. Shouldn’t that help get the silica that feeds diatoms out?

Im not getting the usually diatoms so far

I'm probably in minority but if you plan, overstocking a 12 - 13G isn't unachievable depending on fish and setup

My old EVO 13.5G used to be stocked with 5-6 fish. Params were always good too

Fun times today!

We added:
Adaptive Reef Controller cabinet
Apex Classic
GHL doser
Icecap K1 nano skimmer (It is insanely noise, I think I got a defective pump. I opened a ticket with Coralvue)

I had to remove the Maxspect bio bricks on the second chamber to fit the skimmer. I’ll look for some other biomedia replacement to add in the media basket.

Tank is progressing along.
More diatoms and seeing some hair algae/bryopsis growth.

I switched out the Aqua Gadget Nano Stream to a VCA RFG nozzle.
I like the RFG nozzle A LOT more.

Alk: 9
Nirtrate: 6
Phosphate: .21

Doing water changes every two days now.

Tank is getting full... I can't help myself with chalices and euphyillia....
Here's a couple of late night shots before the lights go off.

Attachments

• image2(4).jpeg
    image2(4).jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 189
  • image0(5).jpeg
    image0(5).jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 177
Nice progress. I had looked at the Nano Stream, but really liked the simplicity of the VCA RFG nozzle. Glad I made that choice after hearing you make the switch. I think it also doesn't slow down the flow like the nano stream does.

Yeah, the nano stream was also noisy. I've heard mixed reviews about the noise. Its supposed to be quieter after a couple of weeks but I also didn't like the flow pattern either.

I modified the K1 skimmer silencer to add in a Co2 scrubber. PH was always an issue at my house since we have a few people and dog+cat. It stayed around 7.8 in the big tank.
I am hoping the media will last longer in the smaller tank, and also keep the PH around 8.3.

Loving the Icecap K1 nano skimmer. After adding it on, nutrients seem to be more stable. It is also skimming well.
Alkalinity usage has doubled as well. Went from 3ml of AFR a day to 6ml, which I assume is the co2 scrubber working.

Bad news, found some flatworms over a couple of the mushrooms. They look like acoels, from a google search.
I'm getting a quarantined yellow coris wrasse in hopes that it will eradicate the flatworms (hoping it does okay without a sandbed).
Also planning on getting a dream fish of mine, a helfrichi's firefish.
I am planning on giving away the yellow coris wrasse in the next few months and replacing it with a pink streaked wrasse.

Tank is progressing along.
More diatoms and seeing some hair algae/bryopsis growth.

Alk: 9
Nirtrate: 6
Phosphate: .21

Doing water changes every two days now.

Tank is getting full... I can't help myself with chalices and euphyillia....
Here's a couple of late night shots before the lights go off.
Looks great B!! Well done! Following to see your progress.

PH was sitting at 7.9 without a scrubber, its at 8.3 with one now.

Got all the equipment I want in place now.
Here's some pictures with different lenses, and a couple macro shots of my favorite corals in the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_3205.jpg
    IMG_3205.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_3204.jpg
    IMG_3204.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_3203.jpg
    IMG_3203.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_3202.jpg
    IMG_3202.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_3200.jpg
    IMG_3200.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_3201.jpg
    IMG_3201.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_3198.jpg
    IMG_3198.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_3196.jpg
    IMG_3196.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_3195.jpg
    IMG_3195.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_3194.jpg
    IMG_3194.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 179
After adding the skimmer and dosing NP Bacto Balance for carbon dosing, my parameters are:
Alk: 9.2
Cal: 420
Mag: 1400
No3: .5
Po4: .02

The corals were looking a bit deflated, I think it is low on nitrates. I'm going to start dosing Reef Energy AB+ and Reef Roids more regularly.

Still on the look out for a helfrichis firefish and a pink streaked wrasse.

Made a couple more modifications:
Added a humidifier to the Co2 scrubber to make it more efficient
Made a makeshift rig for the AI 16HD's and a set of Reef Brite XHO's for lighting

Par meter results were 350 at the top and 280 at the bottom.... way too high for the euphyillia and mushrooms.
I had the AI 16HD's set at ~85% blues and 15% white, 6% greens and red.
After using the par meter, I've lowered them to 38% blues, 10% white, 4% green and red.
Par is now around 150 at the top and 80 on the bottom.

I got a new 50w Neotherm heater in since the 25w one I was using wasn't keeping the temp up at 78.
It died a couple weeks in, thank goodness for Apex temp and power usage monitoring.

Back