Our mission

Bio-Cube LED fixture group buy

Here are some pics. This in on the tank at Ultimate Aquarium. Their tank looks better than mine so I used them as a model.
Full tank shot with stock lights
IMG_2303.jpg

Full tank shot with LED panel
IMG_2304.jpg

Mummy eye with stock lights
IMG_2316.jpg

Mummy eye with LED panel
IMG_2312.jpg

These are the LEDs
IMG_2315.jpg

Keep in mind that the difference is way more dramatic in person. I have a couple of SPS frags in my tank just to experiment. They were brown when I got them and they are already coloring up after just a short time under the LEDs. I'm thinking 10 panels would be a good order and I'm sure they will be able to give me a price break. So who wants in?

I'm pretty sure you could use this on on a 29. It should be much more light than the stock ones. I was told this panel gives out an equivalent amount of light as a 250 watt halide. Mike expressed some concern that it doesn't seem likely that it is equivalent and I kinda agree but It is for sure a lot more light than the PCs that come with it. I don't have much doubt that it gives out as much light as a 150 watt halide or maybe more. You can't look at any of the diodes straight on. They hurt your eyes just like looking at halides. You can stare at the stock PCs on either the 14 or 29 gal without any problem. And before anyone asks, the PCs on the Ultimate Aquarium tank are fairly new. Their old tank was destroyed in the second to last robbery and this tank was the replacement. I think the LEDs are actually older than the PCs. The fixture is about a year old. I bought it used.

There isn't a single 5mm package that I've read about/experienced (I take that back, Nichia has one) that does both: intensity and longevity.

Like I said this fixture is about a year old and the guy I got it from has three others. All of them are running fine (two are plant grow fixtures on freshwater). I'm convinced that they are well built (for the price of course) and they are definitely at least twice as bright as the stock bulbs. Probably more. I know there is better technology out there but we are talking about a LED panel on a budget. This is a great fixture for the cost.

That's the estimation I got using those numbers...which is a ton of current imo for a 5mm. I usually see high powered ones around 40mA. 5mm are usually rated in the 20-30mA range.

Not saying it in't a bright fixture..and not saying it can't grow. I just worry about a very short lifespan. 5mm LEDs have very poor thermal paths for overdriven applications.

In my opinion this fixture is well worth the money. Even if it only lasts one year, it is almost as cheap as buying one replacement halide bulb. Add to that the energy savings and the fact that you don't have to deal with any heat problems. There are reasons why it costs so little. It's not a high end fixture. It's cheap but well built. If it would be better to go with another type of LED let me know what you prefer. I can see if I can get it built. All suggestions are welcome. Types of diodes and quantity would be great. I don't claim to be an expert on LEDs I just know that this fixture is a good buy. Yes there are for sure better options out there but for more money. If there is a better alternative I would love to know.

I did some more research and I might be able to get a fixture made with 12 cree diodes. This will take a little longer and it will definitely cost more. Final cost might be around $250. What does everyone think about that option? I'm going to see if I can get a prototype built to show people.

I think that might be the right direction :) Just keep in mind that there currently is a biocube retro using good stuff. Hopefully you can do better or offer at a better price or both :-D Check out nanotuners for the competition and see if it is worth your time. It is starting to get really nice now with options..yes, we now have options in the LED world :-D cool stuff.

Might want to check out the NanoTuner's site. I think they're smallest kit is 18LEDs @ $300, and that includes a custom made heat sink.

No way 12 Crees are going to put out 250 MH watts of power though. LEDs are just not that efficient.
That said 12 should be fine, depending upon the current they're run on a smaller nano for all but the most light intensive of corals

Edit: DOH! Tony beat me to the NT punch.

Back