Our mission

Brick Red Chalice

I'm sorry to say but I don't think my piece is going to make it. It's been showing more and more skeleton everyday and I haven't been able to coax it to eat. It's toward the bottom of my tank but I might be able to find some shade for it if but I don't know if that will help. Here is a quick pick I took this morning with actinics only.

I've seen worse. Stick it in a cave or somewhere partly shaded. Might recover.

I've had stuff come back from 80% pale, and even just a 1/8" shred of tissue.

All you need is SOME tissue to hand in there. Looks receded in that picture. On a nuked LPS, it would be all sloughed off and a webby cloud of goo

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=4214.msg52173#msg52173 date=1218636685]
All you need is SOME tissue to hang in there. Looks receded in that picture. On a nuked LPS, it would be all sloughed off and a webby cloud of goo[/quote]
I'm happy to say I haven't seen that :) ..... I take that back, my DPV chalice that did a face plant on my acan looked kinda like that.

I slid it under my acrylic shelf in my sand bed so I hope it'll bounce back. I did the same for the purple acan I got from the swap.

So what's the concept with doing this? less light slows photo synthesis which causes it to go into survival mode?

hi levi, sorry to hear your having a problem with the chalice , hopefully it will do better in the shaded area.
on another note ....i feed my tank appx every other day (fish get fed daily w/flake) with rods food , frozen reef cube , coral frenzy , oyster eggs (alternating feedings for each one) and i've never actually fed my chalice directly, i suppose it feeds off of whatever is in the water column.

sergio

hmm.... everything else I got from the (minus this piece and the purple acan) are fine but I guess it's time to test my water. Thanks.

i hear ya levi. everything i got is doing well except the tubs i got.. only 2 polyps are open. i know they're healthy too. they're just not opening up for whatever reason.

levi i don't know if this info helps but here are my parameters

ph 8.2-8.3
salinity 1.024 (still trying for 1.026)
calcium 420 (api )
alk 9-9.5 (lamott)
phosphates 0 (api )
nitrates 0 - undetectable (api)

compare them to yours

I think my alk may be a little low. I need to get a new titration test and make sure but this is what I do know

salinity 1.026 (1.024 if Normans control is right)
ca 400 (nutrifin test)
ph 8.2 (redsea)
alk (2.5 if i had to pick a color :)) (redsea)
Nitrates 0 (IO)
phosphates 0 (IO)

Back