got ethical husbandry?

Brought home a Mushroom coral and there was a Rasta Zoa hiding underneath.

MikiCab

Supporting Member
Hello Everyone, I bought a Mushroom coral and when I popped it off the plug I noticed a Rasta Zoa underneath. Any suggestions on the best way to handle this. Should I separate them or just leave them alone. The Mushroom is currently walking around my tank. I had it in a nice place for several days and it slowly walked off the rocks and jumped onto the sand bed.
Thank You in advance

Attachments

• mushroom.jpg
    mushroom.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 73
i'd hunt down the shroom and glue it to the rock or frag plug.
Didn't think you could glue Shrooms, They don't have a hard base. I just printed out a Shroom Jail on my 3D printer but I was going to let it roam around like Kwai Chaing Caine in Kung Fu until it finds a place it likes. I may put it in prison cell on some small pieces of coral rock to see if it attaches if It keeps roaming around. What about the Zoa attached to the bottom of it? That is my main concern.

Didn't think you could glue Shrooms, They don't have a hard base. I just printed out a Shroom Jail on my 3D printer but I was going to let it roam around like Kwai Chaing Caine in Kung Fu until it finds a place it likes. I may put it in prison cell on some small pieces of coral rock to see if it attaches if It keeps roaming around. What about the Zoa attached to the bottom of it? That is my main concern.
Are you saying that the mushroom’s foot is holding onto the Zoa frag?

Are you saying that the mushroom’s foot is holding onto the Zoa frag?
I don't know. They are attached somehow. I didn't see the Zoa when I bought it but when I took it off the plug there it was. They seemed to be attached at the base somehow. I don't want to harm the mushroom or the Zoa but if one gets damaged I guess I can sacrifice the Zoa. I am just looking for advice on how to best deal with this.

I see. Well, if the mushroom is floating around and the zoas are still attached to the mushroom, then they are likely both attached to the same small substrate that you can’t see.

It’s also possible that the zoas are attached to nothing and the mushroom is holding onto it with its foot.

I would say that there is no guaranteed way to safely extract them from one another and you should prioritize the health and placement of the mushroom, and the Zoa will make do.

Personally I would put the mushroom in the cage you have, with some rubble, in a low flow area.

I bought a Mushroom coral and when I popped it off the plug I noticed a Rasta Zoa underneath. Any suggestions on the best way to handle this. Should I separate them or just leave them alone.
That's an awesome find if you ask me! I eventually want to get my hands on a rasta zoa.
The Mushroom is currently walking around my tank. I had it in a nice place for several days and it slowly walked off the rocks and jumped onto the sand bed.
My first mushroom has been a royal pia! I couldn't figure out a good place for it in my small tank. Constantly floating around and trying to find a spot where I didn't want it to grow. I need to get myself some cages. For now, I created a little rubble garden in the back corner of my tank and that mushroom and some yumas are currently staying put thankfully.

That's an awesome find if you ask me! I eventually want to get my hands on a rasta zoa.

My first mushroom has been a royal pia! I couldn't figure out a good place for it in my small tank. Constantly floating around and trying to find a spot where I didn't want it to grow. I need to get myself some cages. For now, I created a little rubble garden in the back corner of my tank and that mushroom and some yumas are currently staying put thankfully.
I just fragged one. You can have it when you come up next.

Back