High Tide Aquatics

Brown Jelly Disease- advice, and should I bring frags to swap?

JVU

President
BOD
I have brown jelly disease affecting one single torch, both heads (unfortunately my favorite one- 24k Malaysian). Noticed it last night. Did a Lugol’s dip last night and again this morning. Torch is isolated out of the tank. Necrosis continuing. Torch was healthy for a year in my tank before this. Everything else is growing well. Parameters are generally good and stable, haven’t tested N/P recently but they are generally low.

In addition to dipping and isolating this one torch, I’m getting Cipro and will do a higher concentration bath of the torch and a lower concentration treatment of the rest of the tank starting today.

I haven’t seen any other problems with other torches/euphyllia or other coral in my tank. I know people sometimes have it spread to other coral in the tank over time. I made a ton of frags for the swap we have tomorrow. Now I’m wondering if I should or shouldn’t bring them to share at the swap. I’d hate to pass this along, but I don’t really know what the chances are of passing this by sharing healthy looking frags. There will have been one full tank dose of Cipro overnight.

Thoughts?

Torches can sometimes get bruised and BJD start to take a hold of it and kill it. Either something cause it to stress out and the immune system falls apart. Personally I think the theory of BJD spreading is not true. The cilicate ( appear on coral infected with BJD under a microscope ) that consume the coral are natural cleanup in the tank. They just doing their job. Sometimes coral take more time than others to deal with stress factors. I believe there is a certain strain of bacteria that cause infection in torches and the torch subcome to the infection and dies sometimes within days or slowly dies over months. I had only one torch BJD while rest are ok. When this happen I take out the infected torch and throw it away base on severity. If bjd on the flesh I would dip in iodine and And readd back to tank, afterward I start in tank cipro dosing. Cipro takes care of the strain of bacteria. This helps save my other coral. I had no issue afterwards.

If you want to be safe just bring them as freebie with caution. I see no issue with them.

Last edited:
Be sure to bleach inactivate the water you take out of the tank after that would go down the drain to prevent any resistant bacteria from getting out. Can dip with chemiclean as well to hit any potentially resistant bacteria that might be on the coral too. If you have to treat the whole tank rather than dipping specific corals, then run with lights out as the drug is photosensitive. I'd advise against it (from an antibiotic resistance standpoint for humanity's sake) as you only have an isolated coral that's being affected.

The KFC dip method uses cipro, amoxicillin, chemiclean, and pre/post-wash in hydrogen peroxide. https://kungfucorals.com/blogs/news/the-kfc-dip-a-game-changer-in-keeping-healthy-euphyllia

Reactions: JVU
I have brown jelly disease affecting one single torch, both heads (unfortunately my favorite one- 24k Malaysian). Noticed it last night. Did a Lugol’s dip last night and again this morning. Torch is isolated out of the tank. Necrosis continuing. Torch was healthy for a year in my tank before this. Everything else is growing well. Parameters are generally good and stable, haven’t tested N/P recently but they are generally low.

In addition to dipping and isolating this one torch, I’m getting Cipro and will do a higher concentration bath of the torch and a lower concentration treatment of the rest of the tank starting today.

I haven’t seen any other problems with other torches/euphyllia or other coral in my tank. I know people sometimes have it spread to other coral in the tank over time. I made a ton of frags for the swap we have tomorrow. Now I’m wondering if I should or shouldn’t bring them to share at the swap. I’d hate to pass this along, but I don’t really know what the chances are of passing this by sharing healthy looking frags. There will have been one full tank dose of Cipro overnight.

Thoughts?
I had Brown Jelly on a torch as well. What I did is cut the head that had the infection and everything was good with the other side.
From my experience it did not spread to the other torches or hammers. I was keeping everything in the same tank but there ware distance apart.

Be sure to bleach inactivate the water you take out of the tank after that would go down the drain to prevent any resistant bacteria from getting out. Can dip with chemiclean as well to hit any potentially resistant bacteria that might be on the coral too. If you have to treat the whole tank rather than dipping specific corals, then run with lights out as the drug is photosensitive. I'd advise against it (from an antibiotic resistance standpoint for humanity's sake) as you only have an isolated coral that's being affected.

The KFC dip method uses cipro, amoxicillin, chemiclean, and pre/post-wash in hydrogen peroxide. https://kungfucorals.com/blogs/news/the-kfc-dip-a-game-changer-in-keeping-healthy-euphyllia
I have used the KFC dip with success. @JVU i can bring some if you would like it. Took over a week to get it with a rush order. Text is best for me I think you have my number

I have used the KFC dip with success. @JVU i can bring some if you would like it. Took over a week to get it with a rush order. Text is best for me I think you have my number
Thanks for the offer. I’m treating already with some of the components of KFC, I think I have what I need.

So I started low dose Cipro on my system even though nothing else including a lot of various types of euphyllia is showing any signs of infection.

The affected torch was treated with a peroxide dip and is now in a 2g hospital tank with high dose cipro and some Lugol’s, in the concentrations recommended by KFC protocol. It won’t be going back in to the main tank until it is healed, at least for a few days.

I got the opinions of several people with more BJD experience than I have, and the consensus is that it should be fine to bring the unaffected frags to the swap as I was originally planning. Everyone has their own risk tolerance and BJD remains incompletely understood, so my feelings won’t be hurt if some people don’t want to take my frags. Well, maybe a little bit.

Followup-

The affected torch finally died tonight. Was in a hospital tank since Friday, Cipro on Fri, looked better Sat morning, by Sat night was getting KFC treatments minus the amoxicillin, but slowly got worse.

Everything else in my tank was fine and never showed any signs of infection, have been doing nightly low dose Cipro with no issues. Stopping now.

Nothing too surprising, just wanted to give some results for what it’s worth.

Back