got ethical husbandry?

Brown Jelly Disease Help

That’s just a ticking time bomb for me though. If you don’t eliminate the offending bacteria and it survives somewhere in the tank (on a surface. In the water or on a coral), eventually if the environment becomes favorable to its replication, you’re hosed again.
I agree with you there, but I don't think it is feasible to eliminate all of any kind of bacteria without some antibiotic or predator species. Only to keep other bacteria happy enough to suppress the bad ones. That is how our gut works, eat a little bad food with bad bacteria, no problem, eat enough to "poison" you, and you feel it.

I agree with you there, but I don't think it is feasible to eliminate all of any kind of bacteria without some antibiotic or predator species. Only to keep other bacteria happy enough to suppress the bad ones. That is how our gut works, eat a little bad food with bad bacteria, no problem, eat enough to "poison" you, and you feel it.

Hence my cipro tank nukage! I get it with bacteria in our bodies, but I think there’s a big difference in the little boxed up closed systems we create and our bodies with an immune system and a whole method of getting rid of waste and unwanted things (like bacteria). A ton of the natural mechanisms the ocean has to regulate stuff like this doesn’t exist for us. So I think sometimes we have to manipulate things a little. It’s same reason we dose macro and trace elements, do water changes or carbon dose.

@RandyC were there any acros/sps in the tank during your treatment? That's my biggest concern. I was thinking something like dips would atleast help the coral and weaken the bacteria, shifting things in favor of the coral. Then maybe 1-2 week quarantine in a newly set up 10 gallon tank to let it "regain strength".

@RandyC were there any acros/sps in the tank during your treatment? That's my biggest concern. I was thinking something like dips would atleast help the coral and weaken the bacteria, shifting things in favor of the coral. Then maybe 1-2 week quarantine in a newly set up 10 gallon tank to let it "regain strength".

I’ve have used cipro on acros many times before and have even used cipro on a different tank that has acros in it.

Hence my cipro tank nukage! I get it with bacteria in our bodies, but I think there’s a big difference in the little boxed up closed systems we create and our bodies with an immune system and a whole method of getting rid of waste and unwanted things (like bacteria). A ton of the natural mechanisms the ocean has to regulate stuff like this doesn’t exist for us. So I think sometimes we have to manipulate things a little. It’s same reason we dose macro and trace elements, do water changes or carbon dose.
Whose system you calling little! Jk, totally get your point here and really appreciate your replies.

@Adit0 -- my magic potion for almost all types of issues is a dip made of 125mg cipro + 250mg amoxicillin to 1 pint. The reason for this is that they work on two different mechanisms so I cover all my bases. Amoxicillin destroys bacterial walls while cipro prevents bacterial reproduction. So, using both gives me the biggest sledge hammer.

I start with a melafix dip (pond version, 2.5ml to 1 pint) for 2 mins -- need to be careful with aussie golds on thsi step. they hate it. Rinse.

Then for softies, I dip about 15 mins of the magic potion above.

The best thing to do is to run the pieces in QT for up to 1 week with first 3 days using the above cocktail to 3G - 5G water. Daily WC, and then redose at lights out. After day 3, I drop the amoxicillin in favor of just cipro for the next 4 days.

In most cases, this will do wonders except when the pieces are too far gone to begin with. Works for STN/RTN too... but no QT. just dip for 8 mins. if you go over 8, you risk losing the piece... 10 mins is absolute max before issues appear. so I keep it at 8. :)
Do you know where I can get amoxicillin? Also how important is biological filtration for the qt-- could I just use a 5 gallon bucket with a heater and a powerhead?

Back