Jestersix

BRS Single DI Canister.. stuck

newfly

Supporting Member
OK this seems like a stupid question. I have a brand new DI Canister. Finally run the RO line to the tank. Before i hook up the DI filter, i tried to open the canister. Regardless how hard i tried, i was not able to open the canister. The filter have not been installed yet. Do i need to get water in before the canister can open? I don't see any pressure release valve, but the unit is dry and not under pressure. I don't think it matter.

I also don't have the special wrench. I can get one. It is common for the canister to be so tight than you cannot open with you hand? The wrench will give more leverage, but this means i have to mount the unit on the wall. I was hoping to leave sitting on the cabinet floor, not hanging on the cabinet

This is testing the filter, before i plumb it.

Yes, it can get super tight. Wrench is a good idea. I have one you can borrow if you want
Ordered one from Amazon. Arriving on Tuesday. I am surprised how tight it is. I don;t think i have a choice but to mount it on the side of the cabinet for leverage. Otherwise it will be a pain to change out the resin.

There’s a non-refillable DI canister available; they are not that commin to see but they are on the market. Those are shaped similar to membrane canisters.
For future, try using O-ring silicone lubricant when you change filters; it makes twisting off the canisters easier.

There’s a non-refillable DI canister available; they are not that commin to see but they are on the market. Those are shaped similar to membrane canisters.
For future, try using O-ring silicone lubricant when you change filters; it makes twisting off the canisters easier.

Thanks. I see the 'disposable' DI filter at amazon. Some reviews says it doesn;t last.. so its very expensive to run.

good tip on the O-ring silicone. I'll get some. I figure i'll go ahead and connect this one and worry about opening up when its time to replace the resin.

Yes, you need the wrench. I don’t have my multiple RODI type canisters mounted to the wall for various reasons but haven’t had a problem opening them as long as I have the wrench for the canister side.

Also you can probably use a towel, twist it to make a thick “rope”, wrap around the canister to get a better grip and a better... what is that force called? Brain farting...

Back