High Tide Aquatics

BRS Soda Ash

I have a partial (3/4) 1 gallon jar and a full 7lb bag of BRS soda ash available for pick up in Oakley or Martinez.

1673BEAA-9AFA-468F-A925-72E5E648E3CF.jpeg

I can meet you part way? What day(s) are you on this side of the Bay Bridge?

I switched to mostly sodium hydroxide mixed with a little bit of potassium hydroxide.

I can meet you part way? What day(s) are you on this side of the Bay Bridge?

I switched to mostly sodium hydroxide mixed with a little bit of potassium hydroxide.
Ph?
I’d just be using it for clients, so if anybody that needs it for themselves wants to go get it that’s probably best. Otherwise I may be out that way Wednesday

Yep. I was in the 7.8 range before. Now my low is 8.05 on a bad day. High is around 8.3/8.4.

I’d just be using it for clients, so if anybody that needs it for themselves wants to go get it that’s probably best. Otherwise I may be out that way Wednesday
If no takers by then I’ll be in touch. I can probably meet you close to a client depending on when and where.

First and foremost, Sodium Hydroxide (lye) is nasty stuff to work with. You need to use proper PPE when working with it. Gloves, mask (or respirator if you have one,) and proper chemical rated eye protection. Mixing is very exothermic so use a glass beaker or container if you have one handy. You should also mix this outside of the house if you can.

Here's the post I used from R2R:

Start there and see if that helps your PH. Adding the potassium hydroxide (even nastier than sodium hydroxide) is completely experimental on my part and I test potassium weekly with a kit and occasionally via ICP. In all likelihood I will stop using it when I go to mix up my next batch or at least reduce the amount I use. I'm not convinced it adds that much more to the pH boost than sodium hydroxide and it can very easily overshoot your potassium levels.

I get my sodium hydroxide from Amazon.

~Charlie

Back