Jestersix

Bubble algae problem

Does anyone has a good solution besides tangs?

I had a yellow tang that loved them, but my tank is too small for another tang.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Convince yourself they look like those super expensive bounce mushrooms.
:)

Emerald crabs sometimes work, but can cause other issues.
Foxface definitely works, but is larger than the yellow tang. There are no small fish that I know of that will work.
Reduction in nutrients. Algae scrubber. Carbon dosing.
If totally out of control, perhaps some sort of Algaecide, but that is high risk.

Get the biggest emerald crab you can find. I tried smaller crabs at first but found that they don't even touch the bubble. So I got two really big ones instead, cleared out the bubble algae in two weeks. One of the crabs died though and I've noticed the bubble algae coming back.. so maybe only one of the two crabs was eating it? Moral of the story.. it's a crapshoot.

Get the biggest emerald crab you can find. I tried smaller crabs at first but found that they don't even touch the bubble. So I got two really big ones instead, cleared out the bubble algae in two weeks. One of the crabs died though and I've noticed the bubble algae coming back.. so maybe only one of the two crabs was eating it? Moral of the story.. it's a crapshoot.

Crabshot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Every crab or shrimp I’ve ever had, with the exception of the skunk cleaner, has been an opportunistic omnivore in my tank. I’ve seen Emeralds hang upside down on a pillar with claws extended, spending endless hours trying to catch my fish. They do eat bubble algae, but I’ve only rarely had them eradicate it. They all eat coral eventually (BCS, Peppermints, Emeralds, w/e). Removing rocks and drying them out is the only surefire way I’ve eliminated it. Matt (@coral4me) was using an algaecide with some success?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used Vibrant, once a week for six plus weeks. Slow progress but it eliminated the bubble. Week 3 or 4 you could see the bubble starting to turn clear and break down.
fafe673520ce067fff6fd8ca6d9d158f.jpg

I used Vibrant, once a week for six plus weeks. Slow progress but it eliminated the bubble. Week 3 or 4 you could see the bubble starting to turn clear and break down.
fafe673520ce067fff6fd8ca6d9d158f.jpg

3-4 weeks? What happened to the 12 hours it says on the front of the bottle?

12 hours is to brighten a clear water. You can have bright clear water with bubble algae in 12 hours. But if you are patient it will eventually eradicate bubble algae. Definitely beats trying to pick it off.

Back