Neptune Aquatics

Bug / hitchhiker ID

Saw this on a recent colony despite dips... any ideas? Looks like a mollusk of sorts but actually crawls and has antennas. First i thought of were black bugs but didn't seem to match drawings

Any ideas? See it crawling on a colony and then followed by STN. Maybe coincidence but has me worried and wondering

I pulled out the colony and reaching for heavy hitting stuff...
20-09-17 10:54:35.png

Cowrie of some type? That’s the closest thing on the melves id page. But they aren’t considered pests and just eat algae according to him.

Maybe... looked like it had legs and moves fast. I dunked the colony into a melafix bath and tons came off.. hopefully that'll help save it

@Meshmez so I think these thinks are indeed what people are referring to as black bugs... after reading through R2R , and seeing similar pics and discussions on SPS being snacked away.

Treatment at the tank level that works is Interceptor -- but the catch is you can't get it without a prescription, and most vets don't prescribe for animals not seen or know what to do with aquatic life. I did get a referral to an aquatic vet (didn't even know such existed) but the starting rate to exam is out of my expectations ($200).

MIght just do frequent dips with melafix which seem to work. but saw more show up again at night... not as much. I wonder if they live inside the colony.

I might just pull it and put the whole thing into QT and treat with frequent melafix dips. Other thought is maybe trying to use some old flea meds from my dogs that contains Milibemycin Oxime and seeing if that would do it... chicken flavored reef anyone?

Back