Reef nutrition

Bumbling newbie's 65g mixed reef

Thanks for being so generous! I'm sure someone else will want it. Unfortunately, my stand for the seahorse tank is really narrow and tall. I was hoping to find something a bit skinnier and taller than the bucket I'm currently using at my ATO reservoir. It takes up basically the whole stand unfortunately!

I know what you mean. What with the sump in my stand, there wasn't much space for the top off res. I can barely keep 5 gallons of fresh water down there. Oh well, hopefully that won't be as much of a problem when I upgrade to a bigger system. ;)

I'll be selling my 120 soonish...
Oh man! That sounds SO tempting. Lets talk when that time comes. Right now I'm furiously looking for a job because my position is about to be relocated to the East Coast, and this girl is staying in CA. If I'm working when you get ready to sell I might be interested.

Yesterday I borrowed BARs parameter and took some readings. I'm a little disappointed about my numbers. There is only a tiny area (inches) with readings over 350. So, I am thinking about a light upgrade. Maybe AI, Radion or Kessil? I wonder if there will be any good Black Friday sales out there?

Is that a Maxspect LED you have over your tank now? If so, I had heard pretty good things about them. If you really think it's not enough light, maybe you could just get a second Maxspect fixture? It can help get higher par to more of your tank, and help with shadowing and a more even coral growth. I positioned the Kessils so that the tallest part of the rock was between the two bulbs so the corals don't get blasted in the shallow area's. You might be able to save some money by not having to buy two kessils or Radion's to cover the tank and just get the one. If you like the color the lights provide.

It's not a Maxspec, but looks a lot like one. It's a Tesla Svelte, and from what I read, it's supposed to be a pretty good light. I think you're right, and a second light would fix the problem. If I did that I could turn them perpendicular to the direction the one is now, and have way better coverage. Thanks for the idea. I just might do that.

I looked up a writeup on the Tesla's. Seems like there would be lots of light for a 65G.

Forgive the basic questions. I come from a tech support background and we always 'joked' about the first question to ask either the customer or ourselves - 'Is it plugged in?'

Since the lights are on it's plugged in! :)

Almost as basic and overlooked: is it turned up all the way?

Could it be raised/lowered to improve the situation?

Is there anything obstructing the light? Tank cover, dirty lenses, etc.

I looked up a writeup on the Tesla's. Seems like there would be lots of light for a 65G.

Forgive the basic questions. I come from a tech support background and we always 'joked' about the first question to ask either the customer or ourselves - 'Is it plugged in?'

Since the lights are on it's plugged in! :)

Almost as basic and overlooked: is it turned up all the way?

Could it be raised/lowered to improve the situation?

Is there anything obstructing the light? Tank cover, dirty lenses, etc.

LOL. Yes it's plugged in and turned on. But as to whether its turned up all the way, I thought about that today while I was out. I bet it's not. I'll check that out, then turn up if possible I also bet there is some salt creeep that could be wiped off. Thanks for the tips!

A couple of my favorite corals are doing so well that I got to thinking about (maybe in a couple months) fragging a tiny bit for the next swap. So I google "frag flower pot corals" and find out that these are among the hardest LPS to keep! How did I not know this? I guess I'm glad I didn't know. I wouldn't have bought them if I had known they were tough to keep. And I would have missed out because I love these two little guys.

Back