Reef nutrition

Burst pipe - flooded bedroom - probably moving...again

JAR said:
Clearly,
If the hardwood floors have to be redone you really don't want your tank in there. :D
My gosh... what was all that about...5 of em? Damn!

@99sf: Thanks for letting me hold onto the bins for awhile!
@ryan: I feel uncomfortable with a HOA that took 4 weeks to fix a leak. What if the pipe had burst when no one was home? THen EVERYTHING would've been ruined, and my dog could have possibly died. That's what scares me.
@gresh: the tank is in the living room, far away from all of this. So I don't have to move it - unless I move. Blah.

I have seen tanks wiped out in homes where only a small ventilated room got painted and the tank two rooms over wad wiped out. Having laid floors myself, and knowing what i do, i would NEVER leave a tank in the house while doing that. Now if yhey are going to laquer it and just use prefab you'll probably be fine.

Fwiw all those LE Sandollar corals came from the tank i said wss wiped.out. thousands in rare cotal colonied turned to stone :(

Well I'm not sure what they're going to do at this point in regards to the painting. I know they're going to lay new hardwood down.

If I can't move the tank, what would you recommend? Glass tops for the DT and something to cover the sump?

Gresham I just painted a large meeting room with low VOC. It was about a third more expensive than contractors grade, but had no smell while I was painting and a group met there three days later and no one knew it had been painted due to smell. It was much more plastic to use and dried on the brushes faster than I am used to, but made the job great. Do you have experience with this paint?

This was NOT tested on live aquariums!

+ 1 on the question !

Cause we were thinking to paint kids rooms in 2nd floor with low VOC.

The tank is in open (high ceiling) area of 1st floor.

GreshamH said:
I have seen tanks wiped out in homes where only a small ventilated room got painted and the tank two rooms over wad wiped out. Having laid floors myself, and knowing what i do, i would NEVER leave a tank in the house while doing that. Now if yhey are going to laquer it and just use prefab you'll probably be fine.

Interesting, in the last year I've had several customers paint rooms, refinish floors, remodel bathrooms/kitchens without any issue. The painting and floors were done in the same room as the tanks reside..

tuberider said:
GreshamH said:

Interesting, in the last year I've had several customers paint rooms, refinish floors, remodel bathrooms/kitchens without any issue. The painting and floors were done in the same room as the tanks reside..

Odd. Rich/Sandollar lost his entire tank to simply painting a room separate from his tank room. Talk about total devastation. That was one of the nicest west coast tanks!!!!

You're not kidding, the Monti still lives on :D

The new laytex paints are very "eco friendly", so I'd imagine that has something to do with it. I did have 3 customers in the last few years do their hardwoods without issue. That really tripped me out, one of the customers forgot to tell me and I went walking into the house as usual, got hit with the fumes at the same time I felt my shoes sticking to the floor :O I turned around and went out side, looked at my footprints I left on the floor in a very nervous fashion. Upon returning a few days later not only were the fish/inverts fine, my footprints were gone, it must have been magic! Thankfully the customer was on vacation and still has no idea what happened. :D

Wow, major bummer for Rich. Weird.

I painted all around my tank. Within inches. Several coats, just a blanket over the top while painting.
Windows open, but only during the day, and not a ton of air blowing anyway.
And I do staining and so on in the garage, right next to the sump, skimmer, ats, etc.
No problems at all.

My guesses -
1) It might depend on the type of paint. Most modern house paint is low VOC latex.
Big difference between that and the old oil based.
2) It might depend on the method.
Brushed or rolled, like most DIY, does not produce a fine mist, just big blobs.
Sprayers do. Paint itself might float into the tank as particles.

It was not oil based, it was normal acrylic and not sprayed.

You guys live on the edge. I would never do that kind of stuff around my tank. It's super easy for fumes to enter our systems.

Hmm.... true. And even with no "visible" problems, who knows.
May need to think about the garage setup a bit again.
Not too hard to bring air in to the area with the sump/etc. Another hole in the wall though - wife will love that.

Back when I research for skimmer, one day I came across a thread talking about AquaC skimmer, a guy said a cigarette smoking in house killed the foaming of his AquaC for couple of hours.

ryanjiang said:
Back when I research for skimmer, one day I came across a thread talking about AquaC skimmer, a guy said a cigarette smoking in house killed the foaming of his AquaC for couple of hours.

Hmmm, killed the foam while killing himself, quite the combination...

ryanjiang said:

When I BBQ, if a bunch of smoke gets in the garage, it happens to me.
Pretty much anything will kill the bubbles for a bit. More like 15-30 minutes though, at least for me.
A bonus - it automatically stops the skimmer at feeding time.

I always wondered why it did that. Can't be the bubbles themselves, or all skimmers would do that.
Maybe something to do with changing the surface tension, and the way the spray injector works.

Good skimmer though. Can't go crazy and overflow either, like when you get a chunk of crud in a
needle wheel impeller.

Mark I guess that is because surface tension is reduced somehow, and the spray injection type seems to be more sensitive, I guess this is because the bubbles the spray injection generate is bigger size v.s. needlewheel generate smaller and fine size bubbles from the beginning. Just my guess.

Looks like downdraft or spray injection type skimmers have solid performance, just not as efficient as needlewheel.

Back