Kessil

CAD Lights 46G

Was over at AC on Saturday and picked these up.

For the sandbed.
fighting_conch.jpg

Tiger nassarius. Also for the sandbed and general cuc. Karson mentioned that it was reef safe so we'll see. Proceeded to burrow right into the sand and disappeared after being dropped into the tank.
tiger_nassarius.jpg

Various rics
orange_blue_yuma.jpg

rainbow_florida_ric.jpg

green_florida_ric.jpg

Didn't leave w/out a stick
mariculture_acro_ac.jpg

Also was on the lookout for some rfa so an order was placed and I received these this morning.
vip_reef_rfa_greenandwhiteouters.jpg

vip_reef_rfa_greenwithwhiteouters.jpg

VIP_reef_rfa_rainbow_redandgreen.jpg

Gorgeous pictures! You got a nice batch of rockflower nems. I had them reproduce and make babies in my tank recently. Thread with pics is in our propagation forum.

Looking good

Thanks!

Gorgeous pictures! You got a nice batch of rockflower nems. I had them reproduce and make babies in my tank recently. Thread with pics is in our propagation forum.

I saw the babies in your thread! I'm looking forward to the day when these guys are happy enough to reproduce, assuming that I have both males/females. Once these guys are more settled in, I'm planning on adding more.

Where did you order the Rock nems from? They look awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! They're from Frank over at VIP Reef. He usually has a decent supply of them on hand. Just no ultras at the moment since I and some others just cleared him out recently. :p

http://www.vipreef.com/rock-anemones/

Tank is coming along nicely. Skimmer finally got done doing it's thing with the Prazi in the tank. Ran it wide open and it was still pulling out some wet foam. Extremely foamy stuff and wet, but it's over after two days (hooked the drain on the Vertex 150 to a 2G bucket; emptied it once a day).

BM doser is currently hooked up for BRS 3 part dosing (Ca, Alk, Mg). I've been measuring the tank parameters to figure out daily dosage and it's almost there. Tank is currently sitting at:

Ca - 450 ppm (up from 390)
Alk - 10.24 dKH (down from 10.56)
Mg - 1350 ppm (up from 1290)

The parameters are awfully close to the label for IO, which I use, so I'm just basically shooting at maintaining them.

Last edited:
Not much happening. Just been trying to up nitrates since the tank is nutrient deficient. Working on this, which will take ~3-4 weeks.

QT Tank #1 - Trio of Marshall Island Pseudanthias ventralis. Male pictured.
ventralis_male_qt_061516.jpg
1619192324831.png

QT Tank #2 - 5 Pseudanthias tuka
tuka_qt_061516.jpg
1619192336340.png

Also have 4 Pseudanthias pascalus in QT Tank #3. They were incorrectly shipped as P. tuka and are staying here until I can find someone to take them off my hands.

Last edited:
Ooh, let me know how you like the earphones. Such a cool looking concept. Hoping they are amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't get on this forum much, but every time I do I learn something new. Never seen rock nems or earphones that look so cool. And nice looking tank btw.;)

Ooh, let me know how you like the earphones. Such a cool looking concept. Hoping they are amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Will do. Still testing them and trying to get both to sync to each other. The left one has issues and I'm working with support to see if they can solve it or if I have to send it back. The right one, which doesn't have any issues sounds pretty darn good from preliminary testing.

How does that work?

So the Neptune DOS is just one part of the equation. The other part is a wine bottle chiller and the Apex controller itself.

Testing wine bottle chiller
chiller_with_top.jpg
1619192537135.png

Glass bottle used for testing. Contents are cold enough from what I can tell. Still need to drill the top for a JG fitting and some tubing.
chiller_with_glass_container.jpg
1619192550300.png

The way it works is that the setup is connected to the DOS doser and controlled by the Apex via programming. The DOS would be programmed to pull water from the tank and into the container to mix the contents of the bottle, then it reverses and doses the tank with the food, and then once that's done, it runs again in reverse to flush the tubing of the food. This works with the DOS doser since the flow can go both ways and it can be controlled via the Apex. The idea isn't a new one and is actually in use by slief on RC.

Awesome purple hammer!

Thanks! It's actually an orange/multicolor hammer. Once it's fully extended it's showing up as purple, but here it is as it's closer to the light.
wallhammer_062516.jpg
1619192565860.png

I don't get on this forum much, but every time I do I learn something new. Never seen rock nems or earphones that look so cool. And nice looking tank btw.;)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Finally got around to gluing some rocks to each other with the Nyos cement that I bought awhile back as well as glue some of the sticks to the rockwork. These bulldozer turbos have been wreaking havoc on them and keep on knocking them over.First time using Nyos and it works really well.

Kneading it. You can feel the heat while kneading.
nyos_wet.jpg
1619192643857.png

Consistency was a bit too wet there so I just added more dry powder as needed.
nyos_consistency.jpg
1619192653094.png

Knead it for a couple of minutes and into the tank.

Here's what it looks like next to some of the TLF two part epoxy.
nyos_vs_twopartepoxy.jpg
1619192664005.png

You have a couple minutes before it beings setting so I just mixed up enough for multiple pieces to glue the rocks to each other.

It does cloud the water up but doesn't seem to be hurting anything and my skimmer is slowly clearing it out.

Last edited:
Took some additional pics waiting for the tank to clear. Not the cleanest pics due to the cloudiness from the Nyos, but just for tracking.

Green slimer. Got this as a 2mm speck. It's still alive and is slowly growing.
green_slimer_062516.jpg
1619193009397.png

Ricordea rock
ricordea_rock_062516.jpg
1619193021603.png

Rastas
rastas_062516.jpg
1619193034279.png

PPEs
ppe_062516.jpg
1619193044777.png

Mandarins
mandarin_zoas_062516.jpg
1619193057031.png

Red hornets
red_hornets_062516.jpg
1619193068362.png

Frogspawn hasn't grown a bit. :/
frogspawn_062516.jpg
1619193082200.png

Emerald mummy eye. You can see how the low nutrients are affecting the LPS.
emerald_mummyeye_062516.jpg
1619193093529.png

CR utter chaos which started out as a single polyp. Colors are starting to show up a bit more.
cr_utter_chaos_062516.jpg
1619193105868.png

CR rainbow table
cr_rainbow_table_062516.jpg
1619193116071.png

CR pink cadillac

Cali tort

Lastly, my little leopard wrasse from Neptune. Fat little piggy.

Last edited:
That wrasse looks really awesome how are their personalities like?

Corals look awesome also...lol

Thanks!

This one has a really good personality. Gets up before I get to work and goes to bed before I leave for work. Sleeps/retreats to the same place in the sand and is deathly afraid of the flipper when I clean the glass. She dives straight into her sleeping spot once it hits the water only to come out later once the coast is clear. Rest of the time, she's out and cruising around looking for whatever is edible and loves mysis.

Just noticed your skimmer choice. I'm curious what your thoughts are on that vertex skimmer. I was debating between the two same two skimmers last year but went the other way with the aquamax. Kinda regret going with the Aquamax and wish that I went with the vertex instead because it has a lower return height. Skimming is really good, but the height forces me to run at a higher level in my sump.

Very nice tank, and great pictures! I like the variety of coral and fish that you have so far, and especially like that leopard wrasse. Definitely on my list of fish to get in the future, but from what a here they can be a little tricky to keep?

Back