Our mission

Calcium

svreef

Webmaster
BOD
Is too much Ca and Mg a bad thing? ICP test confirms my tests of Ca at 500+ ppm and Mg at 1400+ ppm. Likely due to my mineral rich well water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check your salt mix and check your salinity when u do the mix. High chance you are mixing higher salinity. Change your salinity measurment method and cross correlate

I have been using RO water which is also softened. I have now added a DI stage, so will be using that going forward.

The whole point of a water softener is to remove Ca and Mg, right?

Sorry I think I misspoke. I do remember when I did my research while back ot was recomended not to use the soft water theough the rodi for aquarium use. Maybe it was not the ca, but something else. Will tey to dig up what I learned and post here later.
The general premise I believe is still correct that it's better not to use soft water but why exactly I do not remember.
Now with your case the case might be conpletly diffrent cause i do not use well water...

That's for fw tanks. I asked Spectra Pure about this before. They told me it is better for the RODI unit to use soft water vs hard water. There is a test you should run to determine which flow restrictor to use for your water conditions.
Thanks for the info. Look like my understanding is wrong.
Thanks for sharing

Just check for them with off the shelf tests once in a while, if Magnesium increases too much, there will be precipitation and is an ugly white mess...

Back