Our mission

California Bill to Require Dash Cams and GPS Tracking For All Cars.

Lawmakers are considering controversial new legislation this week that would allow vehicles to be equipped with dashboard cameras to record the moments leading up to accidents.

The proposed law, AB1942, would promote safer driving habits and reduce accidents by permitting video recorders to be installed on the windshield.

The bill currently allows devices to record video, audio, how fast and which direction the vehicle is traveling, a history of where your car has been, steering and brake performance and seat belt usage.

Full Article Here

Opinions?

-Gregory

There would have to be many issues worked out for this to happen... Invasion of privacy being one. The history of where car has been, the acceleration and brake history, and the seat belt history would all infringe on privacy rights. It would give police an idea who is an aggressive driver and who dont wear seat belts. This would tell them who to watch and who to pass up. The only bonus I could see to this technology would be for parents to monitor children and for insurance companies to figure out who caused the accident.

As far as I can tell, the only thing that changes is to allow recording audio.
It is perfectly legal for a video-only surveillance camera on a car.
And the brakes/acceleration/etc are already stored in most car computer black boxes.
And of course, GPS is quite legal.

GDawson said:
Lawmakers are considering controversial new legislation this week that would allow vehicles to be equipped with dashboard cameras to record the moments leading up to accidents.

The proposed law, AB1942, would promote safer driving habits and reduce accidents by permitting video recorders to be installed on the windshield.

The bill currently allows devices to record video, audio, how fast and which direction the vehicle is traveling, a history of where your car has been, steering and brake performance and seat belt usage.

Full Article Here

Opinions?

-Gregory

Seems there is a disconnect between the title of the thread and the content in the article unless I'm misunderstanding something. One says "require", the other says "allows". Would the bill really require all cars to get these?

I read the article to state that it allows you to have the camera installed, not require. If it's allowable, fine, but who controls the camera and owns the video, the driver or government. And in 5 years will it still be controlled by the driver?......

Yeah, seems like you should take a page from all the police who get their panties in a twist over video taping and say this will just contribute to illegal wire tapping :D

That said, I have thought about doing this myself (not in a serious fashion mind you, just a gedenkan), simply for those situations where you're "automatically at fault" for an accident because you were behind the person.

I too have thoughts of installing a camera, but the purpose is to film d!ck$ on the road and posting it on youtube. I have to install the lens on some kind of headgear and have the controls installed by the steering wheel (I don't want to crash while filming).

I don't really care if the cameras are required, as long as I control it (the camera and the contents) and I don't pay for it. So I think this bill is DOA.

Back