Cali Kid Corals

Can SPS share colors?

I received an unknown blue sps from sergio a while back. It has done very well in my tank and has kept it's blue color. Recently, I picked up a tenuis from neptune that has a white base, blue tips, and neon white coralite rings.

It has been a few months now and the blue sps I got from sergio now has neon white coralite rings, though not as pronounced as the tenuis. Also, one of the new growth branches on the blue sps has a white base.

Is it possible that the colors from the tenuis are now showing up in the blue sps, or am I just staring too hard at my tank?

http://www.reefbuilders.com/2009/11/04/gfp-infection-radically-alters-stony-corals-green-jacket/

Green Fluorescent Protein is one of the most ubiquitous and recognizable fluorescent colors in soft and stony corals. In some cases the GFP is expressively produced, sometimes it’s a byproduct and recently reef aquarists have observed a third phenomenon involving GFP: infection. GFP “infection” describes the spread of a solid fluorescent green color through the tissues of a stony coral in a way that is disjointed from the ‘normal’ growth of coral tissue, skeleton and pigmentation. Whether the spread of the GFP is an infection in the classical sense of the word, or another biological process is not at all understood or explained and it remains to be seen how the GFP infection progresses long term. The coral featured in this video is called the ‘Green Jacket’ and it was first created by Steve Garrett of Garrett’s Acropolis. This specimen was the inspiration for a full article on GFP infection in the fourth issue of Reef Life Magazine (hitting newstands and finer LFS any day and also in digital format right now). Follow the break for more pics and a full rundown of other GFP infected corals you can find around the net.

Hep is bad, I would think it's more like getting a tattoo =) Here is a frag that went through a temp spike and almost died. Now this Cali Tort is growing like mad.

Question: If I were to sell frags of this coral, would I call this ORA GFP Cali-Tort?

Wow Gresh, how do you find this stuff? Good to know, thought I was going crazy. Though infected doesn't sound like a good word.

wun68 said:
Hep is bad, I would think it's more like getting a tattoo =) Here is a frag that went through a temp spike and almost died. Now this Cali Tort is growing like mad.

Question: If I were to sell frags of this coral, would I call this ORA GFP Cali-Tort?

That doesn't look like a typical GFP piece. The entire coral usually doesn't turn another color, that most likely has to do with lighting.

Back