Reef nutrition

Canceled- Automation discussion and Reef Nutrition 8/28/2021

Will you attend?

• Total voters
To accommodate something that came up in Chad’s schedule, we are changing the date to 8/28/21. I also started a PM with the folks who had answered in the poll to get your opinions, please check it.

CHANGE OF TOPIC-

Ok so since those available for the new date (8/28) are not planning to make the feeder fridge, our plan is to change this event to another idea Scott had- He has set up a bunch of automations on his system (canopy, feeding, water changes, top off, testing, trace elements, etc), including some he DIY’d himself, the feeder fridge being an example. He has volunteered to demo and discuss the various solutions he came up with, practical components, alternatives he considered, etc. Others could discuss their approaches. This will still give folks a chance to see his feeder fridge in detail to help decide if they want to make one for themselves before committing to the cost.

We are still planning to have Chad from Reef Nutrition give us a talk and do a Q/A about the benefits of this kind of feeding, which is perhaps more appropriately positioned in the decision part of the process anyway.

I’m going to change the poll to an RSVP for this event, so please mark your availability for this new date and event topic, even if you replied to the previous poll.

1625367078154.jpeg

Great seeing more sign-ups! I am looking forward to this discussion and system/tank tour. Sign-up at the RSVP above.

As a reefer enjoying a high-nutrient fresh food system (see my @Scott Sweet -inspired fresh food feeder here), I have questions that I am going to post to this thread. Please do not reply prior to the event, Scott or Chad from Reef Nutrition. Let's discuss at the event.

Question: When using a fresh food dosing system, what additional maintenance should a reefer anticipate needing to address? (I have two cases to share.)

Interested in or have questions about fresh food automation? RSVP to attend the event.

Last edited:
Reactions: JVU
Question: Considering automation, are you shutting down your skimmer at fresh food feeding times or run on a cycle other than 24/7?

Planned timing of the event:

10:30a-12p: Gathering and show & tell of Scott’s system with discussion of automation
12p-1p: Lunch, planning pizza and drinks (let us know if you have specific food restrictions)
1p-2p: Reef Nutrition talk, Q&A, discussion

Please RSVP in the poll in this thread if you haven’t yet. We will use the poll for planning, food order, and whom to send the address to. Last day to sign up is the day before (Friday 8/27).

We plan to have the demo and discussion of Scott’s tank inside (next to his tank), with lunch, the Reef Nutrition talk, and socializing otherwise outdoors. Scott requests attendees be vaccinated and wear a mask when indoors.

Anyone attending coming from the Berkeley/Albany area? I'd like to attend, but need a ride.
Happy for you to join Lesli and me for the trip down, but we’re staying the night at in-laws’ near the event. Maybe someone is heading back towards Hayward, SF or Oakland for a BART connection?

Happy for you to join Lesli and me for the trip down, but we’re staying the night at in-laws’ near the event. Maybe someone is heading back towards Hayward, SF or Oakland for a BART connection?
I appreciate it! I'll try to connect with someone :)

Back