Our mission

Canceled- Event: How to Frag/Dip Corals

Joining?

• Total voters

glee

We'll be having a lil informal class on fragging and dipping corals. This timing should work well for our Member Frag Swap in April.

Information
  • Date:Saturday Mar 21, 2020
  • Start Time:12:30PM
  • Address closer to the event.
We'll cover different techniques for fragging different corals.
  • Which tools work best for which corals under certain circumstances.
  • Which corals should be fragged and which ones cannot be fragged.
  • What to do after you frag a coral? (e.g., don't put fresh cut fleshy corals in high flow or the skin will rip off
Please reply to the thread if you will be coming...and if you have any corals to bring that you want fragged.

Also, who has the Bandsaw? We will need this for the event.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are planning to have introductory discussion of techniques with most of the time for hands-on workshops. All experience levels are welcome. In fact we absolutely need a range of skill levels to make this work.

Requesting that people bring in colony sized corals to frag if you can. We would like a mix of types of coral, including softies of different types, LPS, SPS. The idea is more to let everyone try out fragging something to get comfortable with it, rather than just using the bandsaw on your own coral. It is up to the member if they would like to keep some or all of the frags at the end, or distribute them to attendees, just make it clear on the day of. It would be great if people can announce here what they are planning/hoping to bring so we can get a variety. If you don’t have any to bring in, that is completely fine too.

If you have dead coral skeletons, rock, and other practice materials, we can use them as well.

We will supply consumables like glue, frag plugs, dip, frag cups, etc. If you have some of these you’d like to share, feel free. We will also supply salt water.

Whoever has the club bandsaw, please facilitate getting it to the event. If 1 or 2 other members can bring theirs as well that would be great. We will have some other fragging tools available, but again if you have some to bring please do. Just let us know.

I’d also like to solicit for volunteers to be the local experts for each station, hopefully 2 experts per station so they aren’t anchored to their station the whole time. More details to come on this shortly.

Is the club buying corals to frag or are we going to ask for member donations?
We are definitely asking for donations. And note that the resulting frags don’t have to be given away to other members. Someone could bring a nice coral, allow other members to frag/glue/etc the frags, and then keep the frags or half the frags to sell/trade/etc. The idea is to have coral to practice with. Free labor!

I’ve also considered buying coral to frag. One minor problem is that most fragable colonies for sale are wild-caught as opposed to tank-grown; another bigger issue is the extra cost and time to organize. If you guys have specific suggestions for this, let me know. I was preliminarily talking to Arnold @Apon to see if we could buy some large colonies from his (awesome) wholesale supplier connection but I’m not sure if it will work out.

We are definitely asking for donations. And note that the resulting frags don’t have to be given away to other members. Someone could bring a nice coral, allow other members to frag/glue/etc the frags, and then keep the frags or half the frags to sell/trade/etc. The idea is to have coral to practice with. Free labor!

I’ve also considered buying coral to frag. One minor problem is that most fragable colonies for sale are wild-caught as opposed to tank-grown; another bigger issue is the extra cost and time to organize. If you guys have specific suggestions for this, let me know. I was preliminarily talking to Arnold @Apon to see if we could buy some large colonies from his (awesome) wholesale supplier connection but I’m not sure if it will work out.
I have a large milli I can donate.
Also willing to participate in buying if that's the direction you will end up taking

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: JVU
Back