Cali Kid Corals

Canceled- Event: How to Frag/Dip Corals

Joining?

• Total voters
It wasn’t an easy decision, but the Board has decided to cancel the upcoming Fragging workshop next weekend out of an abundance of caution, and respect for widespread efforts to curb the Coronavirus spread.

As everyone is hearing nonstop lately, social distancing and limiting travel are important for slowing the spread of the virus, hopefully flattening the curve of infection in our communities, and keeping our medical and social systems from getting overwhelmed. As we have seen in other countries and communities for better and for worse, early decisive action to limit spread even before there are many cases is the key. So even though we felt the actual risk to the participants of the event would be very low, we are following current recommendations to limit non-essential in-person gatherings, to help our communities.

It wasn’t an easy decision, but the Board has decided to cancel the upcoming Fragging workshop next weekend out of an abundance of caution, and respect for widespread efforts to curb the Coronavirus spread.

As everyone is hearing nonstop lately, social distancing and limiting travel are important for slowing the spread of the virus, hopefully flattening the curve of infection in our communities, and keeping our medical and social systems from getting overwhelmed. As we have seen in other countries and communities for better and for worse, early decisive action to limit spread even before there are many cases is the key. So even though we felt the actual risk to the participants of the event would be very low, we are following current recommendations to limit non-essential in-person gatherings, to help our communities.

I think the Board has taken the correct decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoping we might achieve critical mass with interest in a virtual frag and dip workshop. Anyone interested? We could reboot what was intended last March.

I've got some zoas that are getting weedy. I'd like to thin out the light green ones a little.

1607725761938.png

The green zoas are outcompeting others. Do you just prune them back?

(I also see I have a budding aptasia problem to address.)

@Squist I like to use bone cutters and try to cut the rock in a spot so it chips off a piece with zoas attached. I have found that is a good way to minimize cuts to the Zoas themselves which I believe reduces the risk.

But we all have masks now, so you may as well be safe and use that PPE to frag. Just be sure to wash it before wearing again in case it gets splashed with the p toxin

I recommend urchins to help frag palys and zoas... I finally caught one in the act of ripping some off a rock this week. But seriously, sometimes they pick up palys that got loose on their own - that’s also helpful because it prevents palys from attaching somewhere you might not want them in your rockwork.
a7d88a9ce790b8921b93f5c3e408c973.jpg

ff408a0857000decf3b58b20a07cf0a6.jpg

Hoping we might achieve critical mass with interest in a virtual frag and dip workshop. Anyone interested? We could reboot what was intended last March.

I've got some zoas that are getting weedy. I'd like to thin out the light green ones a little.

View attachment 22251

The green zoas are outcompeting others. Do you just prune them back?

(I also see I have a budding aptasia problem to address.)
Love the idea, I would definitely call in to learn how to propagate various coral species!

Back