got ethical husbandry?

Ceramic Blades for Tunze scratching the glass?

Alexander1312

Supporting Member
Jim (telegraham) made a claim in his recent livestream that the ceramic blades for the Tunze scratch the glass.

Anyone else having these concerns or experienced this? I have only used this for a few weeks, and maybe someone has more longer-term experience. Scratching the glass of my new tank was something I had been trying to avoid :).

Tunze blades: https://www.4daquatics.com/product-page/tunze-ceramic-scraper

Jim's recent livestream (I believe this brief 5-second statement he made was in the first 10 minutes or so): https://www.youtube.com/live/F7QakK5G99Y?si=lmacYPdWWFhL9DRR

Anyone else having these concerns or experienced this?
Concerns yes but have not seen any scratching in the few months I have been using them. I will definitely take a closer look though. My concerns are mostly when changing panels. Removing the blade side -to change glass panels- at an angle makes me nervous I might scratch. So I try my best to pull it off straight and make sure my fingers are never in between the magnet and blades. Thing is scary sharp.

Not what you’re asking, but I discovered that if you just buy a second metal blade side for your Tunze to replace the plastic side, it not only gives you 2 scraping sides but more importantly makes the existing metal blade work better and not loosen as easily. I don’t know why exactly, it was a surprise to me. Presumably better support or angle or something. I was considering trying the ceramic blade option, but now it works great and I have no need.

They can scratch the glass, but so can many things in your tank, including metal blades if misused.

Yes, that’s what I thought that this would be more misuse than anything else. Not sure if there was any difference between the ceramic and metal if kept in the water longer that would make the ceramic more likely to scratch, even with proper use, than the metal.

Not what you’re asking, but I discovered that if you just buy a second metal blade side for your Tunze to replace the plastic side, it not only gives you 2 scraping sides but more importantly makes the existing metal blade work better and not loosen as easily. I don’t know why exactly, it was a surprise to me. Presumably better support or angle or something. I was considering trying the ceramic blade option, but now it works great and I have no need.

Thanks, John. I went straight to two sides with ceramic, but I might try both sides with metal blades for comparison. I must say, I was not too impressed with the Tunze ceramic as compared to the (new?) two-blade flipper I was using before.

Reactions: JVU
Back