Cali Kid Corals

Check your pumps and heaters. Both of mine failed at 4AM

Hi all!
I was sound asleep and started hearing Inkbird beeping in my dream. I woke up to find my one month old Aqueon Pro 200W heater had died (second time this has happened recently) and my reef was down to 76F. While installing my spare WC heater half asleep, I kept hearing a squeaking noise. I saw that my return chamber water level was high so I checked my ATO reservoir but it didn't dump. Eventually I took my return pump out and found a Astraea snail jammed in the intake. I can't run a pump strainer/intake guard or my pump wont fit.

51BF4FED-897C-49F5-8C79-F3E86B5FC7EF.jpeg

TLDR: Heaters fail on or off, snails are stupid and all of this happens when its inconvenient.

+ 1 for the Jager though they are not as resilient as they once were (not sure if it’s cheaper parts or what), at least from my experience with a couple of recent heaters I had replaced

> I can't run a pump strainer/intake guard or my pump wont fit.

You could likely fashion one out of some mesh (the kind people use for lids) and a rubber band.

Also, what pump is it? I am considering designing a 3d printed, low-profile, cover for the Jebao pumps I have because I'm currently running them in a similar setup. I don't have any filter cover on them in my 10gal or 13.5 because they won't fit.

I have very good experience with Aqueon pro. Had a 100w unit in a small fish only tank for 15 years before I retire the heater. Now running a larger 300w on my 65g . Working perfectly for the past 1.5 years.

You guys would all snicker at what I use. I stopped buying expensive heaters since I have Ranco and Apex to stop any heaters stuck on. Surprisingly, the cheap brand I picked have actually been pretty reliable for the last year, year and a half. Would I use them by themselves without a Ranco and an Apex?

Prolly not.

HITOP 25/50/100/200/300W Adjustable Aquarium Heater, Submersible Fish Tank Heater Thermostat with Suction Cups

https://a.co/2QYOTNW

Last edited:
Thanks all, I'll switch to Eheim. I think I want to run parallel heaters now. How would I set that up? Two 125W set to 78.5F? 2 x 200W with one set to 77F as a failsafe?

> I can't run a pump strainer/intake guard or my pump wont fit.

You could likely fashion one out of some mesh (the kind people use for lids) and a rubber band.

Also, what pump is it? I am considering designing a 3d printed, low-profile, cover for the Jebao pumps I have because I'm currently running them in a similar setup. I don't have any filter cover on them in my 10gal or 13.5 because they won't fit.
It's a Jebao MDP-2500. Your 3D printed ultra low profile strainer would be perfect for me!
You can’t keep baby snails out. That fine of a screen on a return is too restrictive. It will get clogged
So I have to live with baby snails jamming up my return pump randomly?

This is where you pick the least of the two evils. You could build a big mesh box around the return pump but it’ll probably get clogged with detritus and over flow your system or you can run no filter and maybe baby snail will get stuck once in a while
Or dual returns.

Strainer will keep out snails large enough to be more likely to cause a pump failure. Tiny ones could get stuck exactly wrong, but are less likely to. Definitely worth figuring out some strainer solution.

There looks to be a thread on the inlet. If you’re really space constrained, you can use this a low profile strainer, but be warned, they can get clogged quickly so that flow will slow down. Just find the correct thread size.

6EA47ACC-3938-4612-915C-8CBDE83E9B31.png

Lifegard Aquatics 1/2" MPT Low Profile Strainer https://a.co/0QFRnVJ

You guys would all snicker at what I use. I stopped buying expensive heaters since I have Ranco and Apex to stop any heaters stuck on. Surprisingly, the cheap brand I picked have actually been pretty reliable for the last year, year and a half. Would I use them by themselves without a Ranco and an Apex?

Prolly not.

HITOP 25/50/100/200/300W Adjustable Aquarium Heater, Submersible Fish Tank Heater Thermostat with Suction Cups

https://a.co/2QYOTNW
I just bought a Ranco (aqualogic) that was on clearance at BRS based on what folks here said and appreciate the knowledge! Def not worried about a heater getting stuck on anymore. Plus it sounds like these are super reliable.

Back