Jestersix

Christmas Favia - Possibly Bleaching?

Some white/pale areas have recently appeared on my Favia. There is also a place where it had fresh growth on some liverock that has receded a bit. My first thought is the lighting is too intense... I just did an LED upgrade and they're still dialed down to about 50%. All parameters are within range and the only other animal that is having a hard time is my Torch, which I have been slowly losing for a long time (long enough that I feel safe calling it a different issue).

The problem is the Favia has grown onto the adjacent rock and I'd have to damage it to move the animal to a shady spot. Any experiences or recommendations would be welcome. At what point is it a move-it-or-lose-it situation? Will it eventually acclimate or will it always have trouble with intense lighting and absolutely must be moved? Etc...

if you really think it's just the acclimation to light, throw some mesh over that area across the tank. If you're making it brighter weekly remember to do it by the same amount (turn the knob 1-2mm), not until it looks brighter. It takes a lot of change for you to actually notice that it's brighter, usually by then it's already too much change for the corals. Just my experience with LEDs

You can also use plastic window screening which is available at HD. When i swithed lighting i used 4 layers and just removed 1 layer a week untill all layers are gone. Easier than moving stuff around especially if you're concerned about stressing the coral more.

This coral grew so well in my PC lit tank I think moving it to a better place will give it the best chance to grow again. If some stays on the rock and dies the section you pop off should recover well. If not glue a rock above it for a more permanent solution. Now you created a bright place for another coral.

Back