Kessil

Clamp on cooling fan reccomendations?

I want to add a small evaporative cooling fan (or possibly two) running off of a Ranco ETC controller as part of my setup. One would blow across the open top of my frag tank and the second, should even more evap be needed the second will blow across the drip area in my sump.

Anyone have any preferred models or good advice regarding adding evap fans? Hopefully 120V as that matches my Ranco controller.

ive used the tunze ones for a few install but that may be to big for what your looking for... would it be to hard for you to just mock up 4" pc fans and an adapter??

Mike - I went to Fry's a few weeks back and picked up two 80mm fans and two 140mm fans, all 12v PC style, and wired them together into an old 12v power adapter I had laying around. The 80s blow across the surface of the tank from the back and the 140s blow down from the top of the canopy.

They're fairly quiet and they keep the tank between 76 and 77 for the most part. Occasionally the tank will get up to 78 but that seems to be the max so far. All I need now is the Ranco so they don't run all the time and keep the temp a little more stable.

~Charlie

Are you still looking for a clamp-on fan, Mike? I have nothing particularly positive or negative to say about these fans from BRS, they do a fine job and stays where you mount it.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/air-king-fans.html

I'm not sure there's much more to ask for in a fan. :)

Roll down to ACE on San Pablo and pick youself up a simple clip on fan, plug it in, and GO!
Fans do the job! Do you use one now? If not, you'll be surprised how well they work.
Point it right at the water and make sure you're ATO is ready to run.

I am using a 16 inch floor stand fan controlled by a ranco currently. It isn't as effective as I might like because it is too short and I can't direct it properly. I guess I am going to try whatever Ace sells as Dave suggests.

I also use a couple white clip on desk/ office fans in my sump. it's cheap and has worked for a few years. They're so cheap that even if the rust got to it, I wouldn't really care about buying another.
For my canopy I daisy chained a few 120mm computer fans to 1 DC adapter and that works also. depends on space & if you care about the look.

Back