Reef nutrition

Clear water aquarium

I am a little surprised fish stores do not have thin netting over the coral.
It would probably work even if not really locked, just latched.
Anything that makes it obvious someone is in the tank.

Keeps little fingers out also. I have often seen little kids poking around.

Cameras are not expensive anymore. Dummy cameras are even cheaper.
The problem is more about spending quite a bit of effort if you are not that tech savvy.

I remember the first (and last) time I stole something. I was probably 7 years old and took a candy bar when my mom was paying at the register. We got outside and she said we behaved so good that we got to go on the marry go round. I felt so guilty and showed sister the candy bar and she rightfully told my mom. My mom made me go inside and give it back and apologize for stealing. That is all it took to set me straight.

I remember a time not too long ago that we were really struggling with money and it crossed my mind that I wondered how much longer we could go before I would need to steal food to be able to feed my family. I quickly moved on from that thought to reminding myself that there are many charitable organizations that give food away and there would be no reason to steal for it.

I imagine it's like any other type of "bling thief" someone steals shoes from a kid in school? Why? Is it because they're barefoot? No it's because they see something more expensive than what they want and the desire to have it overrides common sense. Someone steals a phone from someone on the subway, is it because they don't have a phone? Or they just want that one? Has there ever been a case where a coral thief just loaded their pockets up with frags from the $10 bin at a store? Or do they go for the overly expensive corals? I mean who knows what goes through the minds of some people, me personally I'd rather have 10 $10 frags than 1 $300 mushroom (or whatever they cost).

These are people stealing stuff because they see "shiny", they're not stealing to put food on their tables for their family.
Who really knows why? But my guess is for resale value, not because they particularly covet that type of coral for their home display tank like you are suggesting. Maybe keep originals and sell progeny, no way to track that.

They may actually be putting food on their table with the money. Or maybe heroin in their veins. I’m not at all defending it, I think they should go to jail and kid to foster. Just saying that they are thieves, and high-end coral are just expensive things to steal that aren’t guarded.

Yeah I can see that, simply taking a coral for the purpose of turning it into money for whatever reason. But the idea of "bling" still holds, just the "bling" in this case is cold hard cash, it's something of value that probably has an easy turn around given any particular cost.

Back