Cali Kid Corals

Converting 4 stage to 5 stage RODI system (also re-doing all the tubing)

Started this in December 2017 as a totally stock Fluval 13.5

20171231_195848.jpg

20180211_184337.jpg

Feb 2018

20180624_092749.jpg

June 2018

20180624_092800.jpg

This was the tank in June 2018, The coral has changed a bunch since then, but the tank is pretty much the same concept. 3 gallon water change every 3 weeks, start frags and see what survives. We don't try anything super tough in here so we have had good success. Grew a Duncan colony to the size of both my fists together took it out when it was doing poorly due to the pump being choked from detritus in the sponge. Took that out, now growing a big frogspawn. Just lost the little clownfish last week though, likely from bullying. I am trying to convince her to turn the other one loose in the FV tank and get two new fish. I could let her do a tank journal if she wants to come online, but I bet she will just have me post pictures for her.

It would be easier for me to do it for you or walk you through doing it yourself in person than write out how to do it. Lemme know if you want help
Thanks Mike! I want to learn and try and give it a shot.

Will draw out a schematic or better yet, bring it to you in person, before I put water through it. Thank you so much!!

Started this in December 2017 as a totally stock Fluval 13.5

View attachment 29766

View attachment 29767

Feb 2018

View attachment 29764

June 2018

View attachment 29765

This was the tank in June 2018, The coral has changed a bunch since then, but the tank is pretty much the same concept. 3 gallon water change every 3 weeks, start frags and see what survives. We don't try anything super tough in here so we have had good success. Grew a Duncan colony to the size of both my fists together took it out when it was doing poorly due to the pump being choked from detritus in the sponge. Took that out, now growing a big frogspawn. Just lost the little clownfish last week though, likely from bullying. I am trying to convince her to turn the other one loose in the FV tank and get two new fish. I could let her do a tank journal if she wants to come online, but I bet she will just have me post pictures for her.
Tank looks amazing!! Have you thought about adding strips of blue/UV under the stock hood for more visual color pop?

I remember seeing an add-on specifically for the 13.5 with stock lid.

Here’s one option:

Last edited:
Tank looks amazing!! Have you thought about adding strips of blue/UV under the stock hood for more visual color pop?

I remember seeing an add-on specifically for the 13.5 with stock lid.

Here’s one option:
Thank you! That's a cool upgrade. I have been trying to get her to upgrade tanks for over a year now. She likes what she has and it grows coral well enough. She is more the marine biologist than the tinkerer type, so she is happy if the biology is happy. The upgraded pump and media baskets are the big helper for that tank to get increased flow. She doesn't even want an ato to keep the counter it lives on more clutter free.

Nothing wrong in checking and making sure!

Would you recommend getting one? I know @svreef does.
I really like it how it look and how easy setup is with the color and everything. I would recommend it.
But also I would look into CDP 8000 because is more popular among reefers and it have some kick ass power to that thing.

Go figure! the BRS faucet adapter doesn't fit my bathroom sink :(

Turns out, that my bathroom sink has female threads. Here's the aerator that it uses:
IMG_7366.jpg

And the BRS faucet adapter has 55/64-27 female threads:

IMG_7364.jpg

Looks like I may have to connect the RO system under the sink to the supply line. Does anyone have this adapter that i can buy /exchange?
1626733788448.png

Thanks!!

Same thread situation for me. I forget if I found faucet thread adapter at Ace Hardware or online. It was not a difficult search that I recall - just screws on in place of the part with aerator you take off, then diverter fit

Same thread situation for me. I forget if I found faucet adapter at Ace Hardware or online. It was not a difficult search that I recall
Now I'm contemplating the faucet install vs supply line adapter under the sink :/

I believe the latter would be a cleaner install.

This looks like a viable option:
1626735786855.png

Last edited:
Back