got ethical husbandry?

Coral and bacteria

On a side note, nems have a symbiotic relationship with bacteria. My current theory is that incompatibility between nems of same species like BTA is likely due to bacterial differences from one nem to another, and that difference might be due to where the nems are collected...

I think it might have been the other thread that I referenced an article about a test done where they cycled tanks using dry rock and bottled bacteria vs two types of live rock. I think it still fits with this discussion. Here it is. https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/estab...obiome-in-a-new-aquarium-using-live-rock.742/

Up untilI I read it, I thought there was only a couple kinds of bacteria in our tanks and their sole responsibility was nitrification. But that’s not the case. Like @JVU was saying, there’s bacteria all over the place and so many different kinds.

I’m still not sure if corals actually “eat” the bacteria though. We should probably better define what that means since it’s not likely that it’s intended to mean that they are chewing them up and swallowing them. Do they mean that they consume them some how? How do they enter the coral? Are they absorbed like how they absorb ca and alk? That’s a completely different scale though (molecules vs microorganisms).

This is really great video, I advice everyone to watch it.

For you busy folks here are some indexes

Min 12: U need to remove chaetos regularly to effectively remove nutrients. That's one of the reasons some times algae reactors users will say it's not working even thu chaeto is growing, its because they do not remove the chaetos frequently.

Min 15: Adding liquid carbon to the water to grow bacteria like vinegar or sugar, you are assuming your system is carbon deficient which is not easy to know. It also assume you know which bacteria you are growing, you can actually start growing cyano as an example.

adding carbon without enough po4 and no3 will be problematic

Min 16: air fresheners can cause white bacterial film. This reminded me of an issue a user here called gabe dealing with white fungus like films on rocks.

Min 17: a good study referenced about bacterial count..that was very interesting cause its showing that our aquariums have 1/10 the bacterial population in natural coral habitats due to our mechanical filtration especially skimmer and activated carbon

Min 20: uv did not have a big impact on bacteria which kind explain why cyano and dino is not effectively treated by uv.

Min 21: If you add carbon and suger without enough bacteria in the water you will promot growth of algae and other unwanted bacteria like cyano

Min 22: cyano bacteria get their nitrogen from the atmosphere, so when add carbon and suger in a very low no3 system but some po4 availibity, cyano will thrive cause it will get its nitrogen from the air while nitrafying bacteria cannot so cyano wins...this explains alot some situations that are common where if you bring down no3 to zero but po4 is high cyano pop up...

Min 24: in high nitrate but zero po4 environment no3 will not go down even if you add bacteria cause the lack of po4 will prevent the nitrifiers from nitrification.

You can do some deductions in to why people adding random carbon sources or bacterial sources without really understanding their system brings with it the common algae, cyano and crash situations.

Ine of the reasons I like zeovit is that they force you to depend on the coral look and system look when deciding the dose. They give high level guidelines but they tell you the dose will vary based on how coral look and react and I think this is because carbon and bacterial dosing cannot be prescribed precisely without knowing the system...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Min 12: U need to remove chaetos regularly to effectively remove nutrients. That's one of the reasons some times algae reactors users will say it's not working even thu chaeto is growing, its because they do not remove the chaetos frequently.

Min 15: Adding liquid carbon to the water to grow bacteria like vinegar or sugar, you are assuming your system is carbon deficient which is not easy to know. It also assume you know which bacteria you are growing, you can actually start growing cyano as an example.

Min 16: air fresheners can cause white bacterial film. This reminded me of an issue a user here called gabe dealing with white fungus like films on rocks.

Min 17: a good study refrence about bacterial count..that was very interesting cause its showing that our aquariums have 1/10 the bacterial population in natural coral habitats due to our mechanical filtration especially skimmer and activated carbon

Min 20: uv did not have a big impact on bacteria which kind explain why cyano and dino is not effectively treated by uv.

Min 21: If you add suger without enough bacteria in the water you will promot growth of algae and other unwanted bacteria like cyano

Min 22: cyano bacteria get their nitrogen from the atmosphere, so when add carbon and suger in a very low no3 system but some po4 availibity, cyano will thrive cause it will get its nitrogen from the air while nitrafying bacteria cannot so cyano wins...this explains alot some situations that are common where if you bring down no3 to zero but po4 is high cyano pop up...

Min 24: in high nitrate but zero po4 environment no3 will not go down even if you add bacteria cause the lack of po4 will prevent the purified from nitrification.

You can do some deductions in to why people adding random carbon sources or bacterial sources without really understanding their system brings with it the common algae, cyano and crash situations.

Ine of the reasons I like zeovit is that they force you to depend on the coral look and system look when deciding the dose. They give high level guidelines but they tell you the dose will vary based on how coral look and react and I think this is because carbon and bacterial dosing cannot be prescribed precisely without knowing the system...

Thanks for the indexing and synopsis!

Min 17: a good study refrence about bacterial count..that was very interesting cause its showing that our aquariums have 1/10 the bacterial population in natural coral habitats due to our mechanical filtration especially skimmer and activated carbon

Min 21: If you add suger without enough bacteria in the water you will promot growth of algae and other unwanted bacteria like cyano

Min 24: in high nitrate but zero po4 environment no3 will not go down even if you add bacteria cause the lack of po4 will prevent the purified from nitrification.

This is why I stopped carbon and carbon dosing.

I only use carbon when I feel the need to remove something from my system.

And I don’t dose bacteria because I just don’t understand the science.

This is why I stopped carbon and carbon dosing.

I only use carbon when I feel the need to remove something from my system.

And I don’t dose bacteria because I just don’t understand the science.
if done well I think bacteria and carbon are powerful.but done randomly or spots here and there i think its dangerous.
I never advice an established system to jump on carbon dosing.
There are couple of carbon based systems like zeovit that are established and can be under control as long as you stick to the method and do not try random things.
I tried nopox, biopellets and vodka in the past all for a year or 2 at least before I judged if its suitable for me or not.
I ended up settling on zeovit 6 years ago. 4 systems since then, am very happy with it..

Since I cannot say I understand the science, I depend on how coral look and reapond...

Last edited:
if done well I think bacteria and carbon are powerful.but done randomly or spots here and there i think its dangerous.
I never advice an established system to jump on carbon dosing.
There are couple of carbon based systems like zeovit that are established and can be under control as long as you stick to the method and do not try random things.
I tried nopox, biopellets and vodka in the past all for a year or 2 at least before I judged if its suitable for me or not.
I ended up settling on zeovit 6 years ago. 4 systems since then, am very happy with it..

Since I cannot say I understand the science, I depend on how coral look and reapond...

Agreed. I absolutely think there are times to use every product. But education is the key.

Too many people just try something because it works for someone else without putting the needed thought into it.

I used to be one of those.

Last edited:
Back