Neptune Aquatics

Corals on plane

Your only allowed 3.4 oz (100ml) liquid containers, and they must all fit in a quart sized bag.

You are allowed to bring a quart-sized bag of liquids, aerosols, gels, creams and pastes in your carry-on bag and through the checkpoint. These are limited to travel-sized containers that are 3.4 ounces (100 milliliters) or less per item. Placing these items in the small bag and separating from your carry-on baggage facilitates the screening process. Pack items that are in containers larger than 3.4 ounces or 100 milliliters in checked baggage.

Any liquid, aerosol, gel, cream or paste that alarms during screening will require additional screening.

I know the OP is asking if anyone has experience...which I do NOT, but a quick search found the answer I post above.

From a few years ago from San Deigo - No issues with a carry on from MACNA with southwest back to SF. I told it was live fish and coral, Carry on, scan and just regular store plastic bags. Things might be different now.

How many corals and what size?
If it’s enough for a “regular” size wholesale shipping box...I would check with luggage on a direct flight only.

Way back when...
I carried a 5’ boa, 2’ boa and a 4’ corn snake in a small duffel bag...through the X-ray and on the plane
M. F. Snakes on a plane!!

Air Florida or Eastern...I can’t remember

As I recall from last time this question was asked, there are different (less strict) rules for livestock in water than for regular liquids. But no personal experience. Every national reefing event results in hundreds of people doing what you are asking about, so I’m sure some people can give you answers from personal experience, or failing that you can google it.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/live-coral

Do you know what volume of corals you might carry? I have a lunchbox-sized insulated carrier containing a rack from Building an Obsession (their DIY carrier design from a few years ago) you can borrow or look at if you like. Let me know if you'd like a better pic of it tomorrow; it's not at my home.
CoralCarrier.jpg

Thanks all for your input. I'll ask the airline and TSA on my flight over to ensure legality. Then on my flight back, hopefully I'll bring some goodies.

Last edited:
Thanks all for your input. I'll ask the airline and TSA on my flight over to ensure legality. Then on my flight back, hopefully I'll being some goodies.
Word of advice, find something written and print it out.

I had this issue when traveling with a baby - the TSA people don't know all the rules, especially when you are pushing more obscure ones.

So it's helpful to be able to confidently/kindly tell them the rules.

Does anybody have experience transporting corals in carry-on bags from Florida?
I've had coral as my luggage on dozens of flights (checked). Since I always traveled in my work shirt, carried cards, declared it right off the bat, never taped it shut, etc, they never hassled me. I however have seen a lot of people hassled. Carry-on is usually where I saw the hassle. Orlando was pretty tough after the MACNA's there.

i bought one of those building of an obsession has transporter containers before other knock outs came out. it comes with a tsa print out that declares then as live specimen and be used as a carry on. went on a trip once before covid, no issues. you can print them out on their website as well.

Back