Cali Kid Corals

Cost of running a stop sign in Oakland

sid700

Supporting Member
So I just got a ticket for running a stop sign in Oakland. Officer says I'll get something in the mail, Anyone know how much it cost?

I want to know because it will cut into my reef-related purchases this week. It's my first ticket - well, not counting parking tickets.

May I suggest contesting the violation? You would need to pay the bail/fine initially, but you get the funds back if you are found not guilty.

I helped my mother with a speeding ticket a couple years back, she did not need to appear in court. She did have little to lose, however, since she was unable to take the traffic school option (due to a previous ticket for the same offense).

Yeah, I'm mulling over it. I really thought I stopped, but being my first ticket, I just couldn't think of what to say and just complied with whatever the officer said.

Good luck on fighting it, your only hope is that the officer never shows up in traffic court otherwise its your word vs. his and you will lose (unless he did something really stupid like put the wrong intersection on the ticket with no stop sign :D).

I've also heard you can go to traffic school if you fight a ticket and lose, but that might vary with county

Mike is right, traffic court judges tend to rule in favor of the officers they work with and see every day. :p My mother had difficulty taking time off to appear in court, so I arranged a trial by written declaration for her. I didn't provide a very good defense, but somehow the case was dismissed. I'd say it's worth a shot. Let me know if you need a little help.

I thought this year traffic school no longer removed the ticket and the period they stay on record is like 7 years.

The baseline for red light is $400 or so... I suspect stop sign is close to that :(

Did they change the rules for traffic school? Hell the only reason to go to traffic school is so your insurance rates didn't go through the roof

Pretty sure they did Mike. I think it was one of the ones that went active near the start of summer.

I can teach those classes Ive been so many times :lol:

Back