Neptune Aquatics

Couple questions about UV Sterilizers...

I was looking at them, reading the reviews...

The one I am looking at for my tank is the Emporer Aquatic's 65w...

I want some opinions...

Are they worth it?

Do they really do all they claim?

What are your guys experiences with them?

I have used UV sterilizers in the past, and have not had good experience or bad experience with them.

The one thing to bear in mind is once they are turned on they do create a bit of heat in the tank. If you have a chiller, or live where there is no A/C then it could be an issue. How much heat is dependent on the size of the UV and total water volume (sump included)

I had one in my old freshwater tank. It was good at eliminating algae blooms.
So I believe that they can eliminate free-floating algae quite well.
Unfortunately, that cures a symptom, and essentially hides an underlying nutrient problem.

With my recent ich outbreak, I researched them a bit for disease control.
They appear quite useless against that, although might work against a few other pathogens.
Just not intense enough.

So I guess it depends on what your planned purpose is.

We use them to keep free floating ciliates down in sea dragon systems. Otherwise there is not much use for them, especially in a reef tank. For the size of a home tank GAC is going to clear your water up a hell of a lot simpler and cheaper.

ok, I already picked up a GFO / Carbon reactor, pump, and media they should be here sometime next week... guess I'll pass on getting a big UV then...

Though I did get one handed to me tonight (small only 15watt) that I might throw on the tank just for the hell of it...

I have always used the CORALIFE brand UV's they work great and dont break the bank.

Ive used them on Fresh and Salt water tanks. Without really knowing what would happen without them, I would say it works well.

If you follow the guide the manufacture gives you, slowing the water passing thru the UV filter to the minium requirement works best.

Slow water = More baking time! :)

Yeah that was my plan, a buddy gave me is little 15w UV sterilizer... figure I'd run that on my big tank and if it helped great, if not, it shouldn't be able to hurt it... The people on RC seem deadset against them...

I've always avoided them for my display systems due to thinking that I wanted to encourage free floating life in my water, especially algae or anything alive.

Back