Jestersix

Custom Tank vs. Pre-built?

This was last year and someone reported that this we the 5th tank that they knew of that failed recently from CDA just in the Bay.

I had no problem with my CDA, I'm pretty sure @H2OPlayar has also had no issues. Mine was set up 6+ years I think. I'm kinda coming to learn that all tanks are a crap shoot. Framed tanks I think a little less so, but who has those now? I would never trust a decent size tank without a eurobrace.

I have a 1.5yr old CDA tank 48x24x18. Eurobraced. Love it and build quality is excellent. I would recommend the armor seals and eurobrace on the bottom too tho.

Remember, you’ll have to find a nice sump and go with your choice of overflow box and custom plumbing. Custom plumbing is great but very time consuming to plan and expensive if you want the fancy colored pipes and manifolds etc….

I saw a Waterbox 220.6 today and was very impressed with the build quality as well.

I have a 1.5yr old CDA tank 48x24x18. Eurobraced. Love it and build quality is excellent. I would recommend the armor seals and eurobrace on the bottom too tho.
Agree on all these points. Euro brace top and bottom, and armor seams appear to be a difference maker.

Last edited:
New Elos 120XL on craigslist :)

Amazing find! Unfortunately, if I do get an ELOS, I would have them build the quietdrain on the left back wall (as opposed to the right) and rotated 90* -- sounds like they'll do a customization especially since these tanks are usually made to order.

Oh you got it? Nice!
Yeah I’ve been wanting this tank for a few years now. I’ve seen it set up and running in person. Ordering direct from ELOS was too expensive so when I saw this on Saturday I couldn’t resist. lol. Will be saving it for when I move next year so it’ll make the tank transfer easier.

Yeah I’ve been wanting this tank for a few years now. I’ve seen it set up and running in person. Ordering direct from ELOS was too expensive so when I saw this on Saturday I couldn’t resist. lol. Will be saving it for when I move next year so it’ll make the tank transfer easier.
That's awesome! Hopefully next year I'll have my tank setup too. I'm really leaning towards the 120XL as long as they can build it with the overflow on the left corner.

I've been doing research on a similar size tank. My info was being tracked in my peninsula advice thread. I originally was hoping to go bigger than 4820, but eventually I went to Neptune and looked at their peninsula, and man 30" wide is huge. So is larger than 48.

If you're interested in that larger size, another thing to consider is the waterbox 5526. It was on clearance for awhile, as tank only. The Reefer 500 and waterbox 4820 seem like good options, but I personally don't like the stands.

However, those are significantly cheaper than anything else, as I'm sure you're seeing. Stands are crazy expensive to find, especially once you account for the stand, doors (which are very expensive), the sump, blah blah.

That being said, if you're ok with their styles, the SCA aquarium plus stand is probably the next cheapest. If you contact them they'll offer you a quote on a peninsula style stand.

I don't think this is a private quote, so in case you're interested the price I had from them was:

• $1,495 for the tank: $1,195.00 + $300
    • configured peninsula
    • starfire equivalent on the long panels + the non-overflow end
  • $1,295 for a peninsula stand
    • doors on both sides
    • any of their colors
  • $<TBD> shipping
The CDA stands are way more expensive once you add on the wrap and base boards. They look quite nice though, and they are completely open inside.

My plan however was to buy an AL stand, probably through framing tech, and either a CDA or SCA aquarium to go on it (both end up being comparable price). I was going to go eurobraced (I've gone back and forth on it, but now think I'd prefer it), 2 holes in the eurobrace corner for cables, external overflow, 2 returns.

The stand I was going to make longer than the aquarium, just so it's not one giant rectangle.

Anyway, happy to compare notes and I'm interested to see where you end up.

I really like those Ultum Nature Systems tanks with the 45° edges. They're targeted at freshwater planted so no holes. It'd be a project, but they look fantastic.

They stock the UNS tanks at Bay Bridge Aquarium shop in Oakland if you want to check them out in person.

I almost bought one to have it drilled but decided eurobraced was the way to go for me.

I've been doing research on a similar size tank. My info was being tracked in my peninsula advice thread. I originally was hoping to go bigger than 4820, but eventually I went to Neptune and looked at their peninsula, and man 30" wide is huge. So is larger than 48.

If you're interested in that larger size, another thing to consider is the waterbox 5526. It was on clearance for awhile, as tank only. The Reefer 500 and waterbox 4820 seem like good options, but I personally don't like the stands.

However, those are significantly cheaper than anything else, as I'm sure you're seeing. Stands are crazy expensive to find, especially once you account for the stand, doors (which are very expensive), the sump, blah blah.

That being said, if you're ok with their styles, the SCA aquarium plus stand is probably the next cheapest. If you contact them they'll offer you a quote on a peninsula style stand.

I don't think this is a private quote, so in case you're interested the price I had from them was:

• $1,495 for the tank: $1,195.00 + $300
    • configured peninsula
    • starfire equivalent on the long panels + the non-overflow end
  • $1,295 for a peninsula stand
    • doors on both sides
    • any of their colors
  • $<TBD> shipping
The CDA stands are way more expensive once you add on the wrap and base boards. They look quite nice though, and they are completely open inside.

My plan however was to buy an AL stand, probably through framing tech, and either a CDA or SCA aquarium to go on it (both end up being comparable price). I was going to go eurobraced (I've gone back and forth on it, but now think I'd prefer it), 2 holes in the eurobrace corner for cables, external overflow, 2 returns.

The stand I was going to make longer than the aquarium, just so it's not one giant rectangle.

Anyway, happy to compare notes and I'm interested to see where you end up.

Thanks for all the details!

Which peninsula did you look at when you went to Neptune? Do you mean a 48" x 30" tank, where it has 30" of depth? It does seem huge, but I love that it's closer to a cube and less like a thin tank. I've always wanted depth, and the space I have in the house is actually perfect for it. I could go thinner to maybe 24" wide, but I'm still probably going to be happy with an extra 6".

I have a Reefer right now, and while it's great, I don't love the huge internal overflow and their included plumbing isn't great (mostly the adjustment valve). I think if I did get one, I'd probably redo the plumbing with a gate valve for the drain instead. I can't tell if it's a DC pump or that the valve they come with is not great, but the overflow is incredibly inconsistent and the emergency drain is always being used.

I've never had a waterbox, but I do like all the improvements it has over the Red Sea Reefers. But they don't have a good tank size for me. They have the INFINIA series, but I really don't want a black or "aluminum" cabinet.

My current front runners are:
- ELOS 120XL (if they can move the quietdrain to the left corner) with the absolute white cabinet (steel with the cabinetry attached via magnets, so you can fully remove the entire skin by just pulling them off).
- Reef Savvy custom: 48"x30"x24"

So far I only asked Reef Savvy for a quote on the tank, but I just asked them again to see if they'll make me a stand and add some plumbing. CDA did get back to me with a quote for the tank, stand, sump, return/drain plumbing. While it's a pretty fair price (though pricey), I think all the negative experiences I've read is steering me clear of them for now. I know YMMV, but I'm going to try Reef Savvy and ELOS first.

The Reef Savvy I have planned:

48"x30"x24"
Rimless
3 sides starphire (I might push for 4, why not? If I ever use it as a non-peninsula, I want the other side to be starphire)
21" Ghost Overflow
Phantom Bottom
Armored Seams (I might nix this option)
Steel Stand with white cabinets (maybe even walnut or unfinished doors that I can paint to match the home)

Then I'm looking to get a Reef Octo 30A sump, Reef Octopus 150SSS skimmer, VarioS-4 return, VarioS-4 accessory pump + manifold, Neptune Apex, Trident, DOS, ATK, and some other bits and pieces I already own.

Thanks for all the details!

Which peninsula did you look at when you went to Neptune? Do you mean a 48" x 30" tank, where it has 30" of depth? It does seem huge, but I love that it's closer to a cube and less like a thin tank. I've always wanted depth, and the space I have in the house is actually perfect for it. I could go thinner to maybe 24" wide, but I'm still probably going to be happy with an extra 6".

I have a Reefer right now, and while it's great, I don't love the huge internal overflow and their included plumbing isn't great (mostly the adjustment valve). I think if I did get one, I'd probably redo the plumbing with a gate valve for the drain instead. I can't tell if it's a DC pump or that the valve they come with is not great, but the overflow is incredibly inconsistent and the emergency drain is always being used.

I've never had a waterbox, but I do like all the improvements it has over the Red Sea Reefers. But they don't have a good tank size for me. They have the INFINIA series, but I really don't want a black or "aluminum" cabinet.

My current front runners are:
- ELOS 120XL (if they can move the quietdrain to the left corner) with the absolute white cabinet (steel with the cabinetry attached via magnets, so you can fully remove the entire skin by just pulling them off).
- Reef Savvy custom: 48"x30"x24"

So far I only asked Reef Savvy for a quote on the tank, but I just asked them again to see if they'll make me a stand and add some plumbing. CDA did get back to me with a quote for the tank, stand, sump, return/drain plumbing. While it's a pretty fair price (though pricey), I think all the negative experiences I've read is steering me clear of them for now. I know YMMV, but I'm going to try Reef Savvy and ELOS first.

The Reef Savvy I have planned:

48"x30"x24"
Rimless
3 sides starphire (I might push for 4, why not? If I ever use it as a non-peninsula, I want the other side to be starphire)
21" Ghost Overflow
Phantom Bottom
Armored Seams (I might nix this option)
Steel Stand with white cabinets (maybe even walnut or unfinished doors that I can paint to match the home)

Then I'm looking to get a Reef Octo 30A sump, Reef Octopus 150SSS skimmer, VarioS-4 return, VarioS-4 accessory pump + manifold, Neptune Apex, Trident, DOS, ATK, and some other bits and pieces I already own.
At Neptune in their display tank area they have one that I think is 60x30. Seeing it in person made me for sure want to downsize my purchase size.

Do you have a Reefer peninsula now?

That tank you mentioned seems like it'd be great. Towards other manufacturers, I am not sure the CDA comments on this thread are representative of reality. I think this is a situation where more research, around quality, isn't going to give more information. It's so easy to find information out there, which makes it very easy to just read the information that reinforces beliefs.

If someone believes CDA is bad, a couple searches will find them a bunch of bad reviews, and they'll ignore the good ones. If you believe reefers fail, a couple searches and you'll find reviews along those lines. It's really hard to tell what's reality, IMO.

I once sat through a research presentation about Yelp reviews, in the context of figuring out what merchants to run on a site I worked on. The main thing that stood out to me is that all businesses trend to 3 stars. Everyone starts with high ratings, because they're friends and family go. Then later as more people go through they start either reverting to average because they are or because the people leaving reviews only do so when bugged about something.

I feel that probably applies to all the tanks. Make enough, and bad reviews are bound to be out there, and people will find them. Make very few, and there's just less info so you look better. Are you? Who knows.

I'm not sure that's helpful, but just mentioning it regarding CDA, SCA, and so on. I'm personally starting to think the best bet may just be to contact them and ask questions and see if they seem like a good business. They're all pretty similar anyway. Maybe ask questions about tank failures and what they think about big tanks in earthquake zones. If they give informed info, that's probably a plus

Back