got ethical husbandry?

Dangalang's IM Nuvo Fusion 20 Nano

I've got a meteor shower cyphastrea I glued on there that's spreading out nicely. The only thing I don't like is the raised spot where the frag started, so I might chisel it off later.
How did you attach to the back wall, just super glue the frag plug on there?

I found a little spot of bubble algae growing. I plant to manually remove and siphon out, but should I also spot treat the area afterwards with hydrogen peroxide or just let it be after manual removal.

PXL_20240306_233707257.jpg

First casualty, my neon green frogspawn decided enough was enough. The only thing I noticed yesterday was that its polyp extension was about half of its usual extension, then saw the picture below this morning. All other corals looked normal yesterday.

I'm guessing brown jelly disease? What should I do here, remove the coral and call it a day? Savable? Will this effect any of my other corals and if so what should I do?

I haven't tested parameters this morning, but here are my last two weeks of testing:

Sunday 3/3
Temp: 78.6
pH: 8.0
Salinity: 1.026
Alkalinity: 8.5
Phosphate: 0.15
Nitrate: 5.0

Sunday 3/10
Temp: 78.7
pH: 8.0
Salinity: 1.026
Alkalinity: 8.9
Phosphate: 0.11
Nitrate: 9.8

PXL_20240313_145152875.jpg

Yeah unsure of it then, but it probably is a goner. It looks like it had a healthy amount of tissue below the polyp too. Stuff sometimes just dies, but as long as your other corals are growing and appear healthy, I wouldn't worry too much. I've had some just randomly go like that while everything else is growing like a weed. Just keep documenting with photos of the tank and observing!

How are the rest of the corals?
Is there a torch nearby that can sting it?

After lights out, in the dark
Observe the tank with a red light
Possible flatworm
(Not the acro, monti, or planarian kind)

Attachments

• 58CCDD37-05DC-450A-AD0B-4F4172772326.jpeg
    58CCDD37-05DC-450A-AD0B-4F4172772326.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
How are the rest of the corals?
Is there a torch nearby that can sting it?
No torches nearby that can sting it.

All other corals were normal yesterday, but this pink tip frogspawn next door is starting to act up:

PXL_20240313_222348604.jpg

PXL_20240313_224823818.jpg

PXL_20240313_221742464.jpg

These two frogspawn were maricultured so maybe they just don't like the domestic life. Tank is also young.

Pulled the pink tip frogspawn out. No improvement in polyp extension and I noticed a small sliver of bare skeleton. The base of the flesh looked darker than normal (I think because it was pulled in tight) but nothing looked like the brown jelly pictures I've seen.

Everything else looks ok, for now...

Pulled the pink tip frogspawn out. No improvement in polyp extension and I noticed a small sliver of bare skeleton. The base of the flesh looked darker than normal (I think because it was pulled in tight) but nothing looked like the brown jelly pictures I've seen.

Everything else looks ok, for now...
Honestly I've found the same success rate with maricultured corals as wild for my tank. Really only the tank grown frags have a high success rate for me. Can definitely tell at CFM too when I get a tank grown vs. maricultured frag.

Honestly I've found the same success rate with maricultured corals as wild for my tank. Really only the tank grown frags have a high success rate for me. Can definitely tell at CFM too when I get a tank grown vs. maricultured frag.
I agree, aquacultured/tank grown frags are the way to go.

Lost the Aussie Ice Tips Hammer in the front. Same symptoms as the frogspawns except this time I saw some brown goo coming from one of the heads. It looked like expelled zooxanthellae, except a bit slimier. I syphoned it up and in the process saw some of the tissue coming off the skeleton, so I just pulled the whole thing out as carefully as I could. I'm thinking the 27 hour power outage from a month ago maybe weakened their immune systems and this is the result, who knows. Hopefully it doesn't spread any more.

I think something bacterial happened in my tank which caused the loss of those corals. Shortly after a bit of cyano showed up on the sand on the right side of my tank where the flow is the slowest. I made some coral snow with some Microbacter7 mixed in and turkey basted directly onto the cyano and let it marinate before turning pumps back on. It's only been a few days, but cyano is mostly gone now.

The hammer I got from @Invictus had a couple heads that were acting weird so I pulled it out. Same symptoms as the others - polyps not extending and tissue starting to come off the skeleton, but no obvious brown jelly.

I put the hammer in a Tupperware container and let it sit overnight. I noticed the next morning that the heads that were acting funny were spewing out brown goo, where the normal heads were not, see photo below.

I’m thinking of doing a big water change, like 75-100%, and then running some carbon for a bit to hopefully prevent any additional spread. Any downsides to doing a water change that big? Is it necessary to dose some phosphate and nitrate to get those levels close to what they were before the big water change, in order to avoid nutrient swing and/or dinos?

Any other recommendations to avoid the spread of whatever I have going on? Get a UV?

PXL_20240331_172718662 markup.jpg

Back