Kessil

DBTC: Bright Green with Yellow Eyes CHALICE

Standard DBTC Rules Apply!

We fragged this chalice at the How to Frag meeting on 10/15/16. Please let me know if you took a frag of this or add yourself above! Thanks!

Since the fragging occurred outside, I could not tell what this looked like till I got home and placed it in the tank. I was pleasantly surprised as the body fluoresces green with bright yellow eyes, it really stands out. Thank you Geneva for sharing such a beautiful coral.

Since the fragging occurred outside, I could not tell what this looked like till I got home and placed it in the tank. I was pleasantly surprised as the body fluoresces green with bright yellow eyes, it really stands out. Thank you Geneva for sharing such a beautiful coral.
I wish I took a pic of this in my tank before cutting it up! It started off quarter sized from CRC about a year ago - Anthony sold it to me and said it was from his tank. I forgot the name of it (duh) so Mike (@Coral reefer ) suggested "Oakland A's Chalice"! Thanks, I'm glad you like it!

Does it look like this? This is the space invader chalice from California Reef Co

IMG_3833.PNG

Hard to tell color based on your picture but it does look like the space invader chalice plus California Reef Co has been growing out frags of that piece for a while now.

I'd bet its the space invader chalice.I tried growing it one time, it grew kinda good for a while then died. I enjoyed the colors though!

Last edited:
I also got a frag (1-2" in both directions). It got scraped on the edge but is looking fine. We looked at it in my marine science class today under a dissecting microscope (kept it in water). Shined light on it to make it fluoresce under the scope. It was a big hit!

t
g-y-chalice.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure how to add myself, but I also got a frag and will try to post a pic tomorrow. We looked at it in my marine science class today under a dissecting microscope (kept it in water). Shined light on it to make it fluoresce under the scope. It was a big hit!
Mo - thanks for the update! I added you above (very easy - just hover over my name and then select the red plus sign).

Thanks again to Alfred (@neuro ) for creating this wonderful version of DBTC! (Alfred, is there an easy way to change the name above to Space Invader Chalice? I couldn't find an edit option for the title....)

Thanks again to Alfred (@neuro ) for creating this wonderful version of DBTC! (Alfred, is there an easy way to change the name above to Space Invader Chalice? I couldn't find an edit option for the title....)

I like the current title.
These made up names are fun, but really just add to the confusion.
Sometimes boring but accurate is better.
:)

OK, we can leave the title as is! Thanks again, to Mike (@Coral reefer ) for demonstrating how to cut this! For those who didn't see, this was a large round chalice and Mike cut all around leaving the center intact (which I brought home). I'm surprised at how many frags were created and really want to know how many survive. Before every frag swap we are encouraged to frag a few weeks ahead of time to let them heal so I'm wondering how this will turn out. I know there are many factors involved - primarily tank conditions - that impact success rate.....

I think I might frag a beautiful ORA blue chalice by that method. How big would you say your green and yellow chalice was before you fragged it?

I think I might frag a beautiful ORA blue chalice by that method. How big would you say your green and yellow chalice was before you fragged it?
That Saturday event was the first time this chalice was ever fragged - it was at least 4" in diameter, wasn't it?! I'm sure I could have fragged it much earlier if I had a frag tank.

mine is doing great! As you know it had some issues while recovering from fragging, but it healed up just fine once Geneva housed it for awhile.
After i got it back from her, it has been doing fine ever since.
Geneva had that reefers green thumb.

Back