Our mission

DBTC: TLR Frogspawn

His username
I think @ofzakaria started this trend in DBTC, we shouldn’t put another name in front of a coral name unless the user originated that coral strain (meaning brought it in wild, acclimated to captivity, and grew it out; or a new color mutation/morph appeared while the coral was in their care that they were able to grow out.)

Since this is a common green w/purple tips frogspawn a good title would be “green w/purple tips frogspawn”.

Last edited:
I think @ofzakaria started this trend in DBTC, we shouldn’t put another name in front of a coral name unless the user originated that coral strain (meaning brought it in wild, acclimated to captivity, and grew it out; or a new color mutation/morph appeared while the coral was in their care that they were able to grow out.)

Since this is a common green w/purple tips frogspawn a good title would be “green w/purple tips frogspawn”.
Define common?
Appearance? Growth patterns?the generic name its given? Collection location? Mother colony?...etc

How easy would it be for a common reefer to catch color mutations? How can you tell its mutations given that same coral can look completely diffrent under different lights and water condition...

I do not think its always easy to claim 2 coral are the same just because it look similar. niether do i think we can claim 2 coral are diffrent just cause it look diffrent in color or growth steucture..

Hence I add the owner name(mine) to further distinguish the source..

Sure there is no need, but its fine to add his name to it. I just don't see the big deal.

It makes the name longer than it has to be and raises questions - is a "Louis Winthorpe III Frogspawn" different from a "WWC Frogspawn" or a "Green Frogspawn"? It's not really a big deal, but I (personally) don't like the aesthetics of it.

I personally don’t think it adds any value to put the name of the member in the title, since it is already obvious on the thread and in BARcode. Of course it is true that not all coral with the same generic name are necessarily exactly the same, but I don’t think anyone experienced thinks that anyway. I DO think people who start chains should get credit for doing so, because it is awesome. I just don’t think having it in the title is needed, kinda feels like too much.

But it is mostly just an aesthetic concern, so really I don’t care enough to tell other people what to do. I’m just happy they are sharing their coral. On the flip side, I also don’t think newer users should feel like they have to put their name in the title or they are doing it wrong.

Back