Kessil

Deionization Resin question.

I have plenty of tubing and a ton of john guest fittings (little push to connect) what would happen if I ran the 4 filters then two ro membranes then two di cartridges?

I have plenty of tubing and a ton of john guest fittings (little push to connect) what would happen if I ran the 4 filters then two ro membranes then two di cartridges?
I think you might be better off staying with 2 filters and switching two to resin?

I don’t really know enough about how rodi works, I’m curious to see what others will say.

I think you might be better off staying with 2 filters and switching two to resin?

I don’t really know enough about how rodi works, I’m curious to see what others will say.

I need new di for both. Ones putting out 15 tds and the other is putting out 3 tds. Worst case scenario I run it and the water tests worse and I put it back how I found it. Best case it pumps out 0 tds water.

I can explain what's going on here if you need. Imo the 3 di would be fine as 1 mixed bed instead. But it's less efficient, and you throw out more good resin.
20200913_191414.jpg

Last edited:
Oh boy. Ok. What is the thing circled in the pic? Are there any bypass levers or anything?
View attachment 19688
Might have the restrictor orifice built in as well.

I need to upgrade.
Mainly so you don't need to buy the higher priced Aquatic Life cartridges, not so much for something specifically wrong with that unit. Assuming a decent TDS reading (buy a handheld TDS meter), I't still use it until the TDS creeps up to a number you find unacceptable.

Reminds me of the ones behind the anodize line at a former employer. The process for changing the resin in those is a bit trickier than unscrewing the bottom, but at least doing so is extremely infrequent.
Instead of RO they just ran 400 TDS tap straight into DI resin. I forget the flow rate, but it was on the order of hundreds of gallons per hour. The resin was of course recharged in place, but you don’t really want to deal with the chemicals that they used to do that.

At some point I remember the EHS guy explaining that the only reason it was so easy for us to dispose of acids was that we also needed to dispose of a lot of caustics. Drain them all into a 10k gallon holding tank, let the acids and bases mix to become salt water, adjust the ratio until the pH is near neutral, make sure there isn’t anything with additional disposal regulations mixed in, and it’s like flushing your water change down the drain.

Back