got ethical husbandry?

DI resin "shrinking" over time?

I’m going to go with my original answer of settling over time/use. Why some beads and not others? Probably some are more flexible or become more flexible over time/water. Another good reason to use mixed beds!

I’m going to go with my original answer of settling over time/use. Why some beads and not others? Probably some are more flexible or become more flexible over time/water. Another good reason to use mixed beds!
Mixed bed is generally very wasteful, as most people deplete the anion before cation. Therefore when your mixed bed needs replacement, you likely still have perfectly good cation. Meaning you're just throwing away half your resin.

What about the SMELL? Did you ask that too?
I didn't ask.

Mixed bed is generally very wasteful, as most people deplete the anion before cation. Therefore when your mixed bed needs replacement, you likely still have perfectly good cation. Meaning you're just throwing away half your resin.
BRS promotes that logic and people repeat it, but it hasn’t been my experience. At least not to any extent that functionally matters. Nobody started doing the separate resin beds before BRS started selling it.

My mixed resin beds last a very long time. I have 2 in series, and when the first is depleted after many months I move the second to the first spot and a new one to the second spot. At the same time I’m generally due for prefilter and carbon changes. I am basically never changing out individual prefilter, carbon, or resin cartridges based on exactly precise knowledge of when that one cartridge is depleted. It is mostly on a schedule, which by definition is a bit wasteful. If I had to actively monitor specific anion vs cation resin cartridges and do 10 times as many color/TDS checks, twice as many maintenance change outs, etc, it would feel wasteful of my attention and time, which are more valuable than resin to me. That is obviously just personal preference.

Also when BRS makes sweeping comments about what concentrations of various ions are in people’s water throughout the US it is imprecise at best. They may be giving great advice for Minnesota or places with really dirty water or unique challenges like well water where optimizing this makes a big difference, but the advice is a lot less helpful in areas with cleaner water supply.

BRS promotes that logic and people repeat it, but it hasn’t been my experience. At least not to any extent that functionally matters. Nobody started doing the separate resin beds before BRS started selling it.

My mixed resin beds last a very long time. I have 2 in series, and when the first is depleted after many months I move the second to the first spot and a new one to the second spot. At the same time I’m generally due for prefilter and carbon changes. I am basically never changing out individual prefilter, carbon, or resin cartridges based on exactly precise knowledge of when that one cartridge is depleted. It is mostly on a schedule, which by definition is a bit wasteful. If I had to actively monitor specific anion vs cation resin cartridges and do 10 times as many color/TDS checks, twice as many maintenance change outs, etc, it would feel wasteful of my attention and time, which are more valuable than resin to me. That is obviously just personal preference.

Also when BRS makes sweeping comments about what concentrations of various ions are in people’s water throughout the US it is imprecise at best. They may be giving great advice for Minnesota or places with really dirty water or unique challenges like well water where optimizing this makes a big difference, but the advice is a lot less helpful in areas with cleaner water supply.
I'm glad mixed bed is working for you. Mine depleted fairly quickly (I'm in San Jose).

Since switching to cation/anion/mixed my anion is half depleted and the other 2 remain completely unchanged. This leads me to believe, that at least in my case, BRS is correct in the fact that Anion is used up more quickly. I also believe the half of anion I have used up has processed more water than I was getting with a full mixed bed, but I don't have actual numbers for that, so its just a feeling.

I don't have data, so I could be very wrong, but I dont believe it has anything to do with "how dirty" the water is when it comes down to the DI stage. I think it has to do what is generally in water, and what the different resins remove.

Back