Normal? Turned off lights of 36 hrs
Came right back
Doing 4 gallon water change bout every 10 days
Shoul I hold off on water change?
to let establish?
or is this all normal
oooh
Due to unforeseen situation 5frags in there now

When was your tank finished cycling? Diatoms usually show up a few weeks after cycling is finished. If it is diatoms they'll go away on their own after a little while (when the silicates are exhausted).

If you're concerned and want to make sure they're diatoms, PM me; I'm happy to take a sample of your water/sand and let you know what you're dealing with.

Fish went in New Year’s Eve
Water test showed 0 on all 3 major test
Trites Tate’s amionia
Pretty sure it’s diatoms from what I see and have read
So to answer around new year’s

From what you’ve said I agree with waiting it out and continuing with your maintenance as usual.

If you believe you could be incorrectly ID’ing there are a few club members with microscopes that can help ID so you take the proper approach to resolve it.

My tank is super cloudy diatoms?
Anyone near rodeo area that has a microscope?or willing to look at it

I am at my wits end bout ready to pull the plug
Corals not looking good
Got bad advise from people was told I could put corals in right after cycle now I have a brown mud puddle
All parameters look good
Water changes weekly 20% Red Sea coral pro salt
Using rodi
Cycly was finished bout Xmas
Now got brown alge and stringing brown hair
What to do?
20 gallon aio tank

I believe a microscope is required to ID, but a picture could help us help you. Could you upload a photo?

What corals do you have so far and how are they looking? While the diatoms can certainly disturb them, I kept the corals clear with a turkey baster and gently blasting the gunk off the coral so they don’t get disturbed.

This hobby can have some highs and lows, but if you can stick it through the tough times it can be really rewarding once you learn more. A year ago I had a cloudy mess of a 10 gallon aio and just continued researching and learning. I now have an awesome tank that brings a smile to my face each morning. I’m sorry you didn’t get the best advice from the start but you can still recover!

Thanks
Been turkey basting daily
And baby tooth brushing
Lights off for 48 hrs
As far as corals nothing fancy
Just beginner corals
GPS frogs a couple Zola’s
Right now pic won’t work just did major wipe down and water change
So looking good now butt?
So if anyone local has a microscope or wants to take a look greatly appreciate

Here’s my tanks covered in diatoms during the ugly phase. I also was misguided and put corals in quickly, definitely not a easy approach for starting out but I’m sharing these to let you know you can make it through the tough times.
4F00914B-04C9-4895-B1B4-D5728B5EE967.jpeg

04DE54EC-6563-45F3-A32D-3A79D1EAE58F.jpeg

If you decide to join and pay for supporting membership I frequently share zoanthids both as pay it forward and through the clubs DBTC program which allows members to share corals with others as a backup for their corals. I always have gsp to give away and can get you a big piece. I’m a bit away in SF but I think there are some members up your way.

I’m not sure how accurate it is but I know people will suggest taking a sample of the gunk and putting it in a container and shaking it up. Depending on if it reforms or not it can help ID, but I am not too familiar with that technique.

Yea going to be a member very soon
This weekend for sure
This is the place for info
Not a salesman telling me what I want to hear lol

So it sounds like you went too fast. Very common.
Tanks is going through the ugly diatom phase, and you put coral in a bit early.
Not that big of a deal.
You could normally ignore it and wait, but since you have coral in, you probably need to spend some extra effort.

Squirting the crud with a turkey baster just moves it around.
Some ends up in the skimmer, but it does not really fix much long term.

Siphon it!
Find a fairly small diameter tube, maybe 1/4".
Siphon the crud out with that, so it is actually removed from the tank.
Replace siphoned water with new salt water.
Basically, you are doing a special type of water change, targeting crud directly.
Do a bit at a time, not all at once.
You may siphon out some sand, but that is fine, a bit of replacement sand is cheap.

Patience!
This will takes weeks to clear.
It will take months to have a nice tank.
It will take years to have a great tank.

Back