Kessil

Dinoflagletes and my recent discovering of how they impacted my 50g cube

Okay so the infamous dino's that fellow reefers have had to deal with on time or another, I had recently had my 50g cube have some nutrient issues, my P04 had reached zero for several weeks. N03 stayed around 5ppm to 8ppm, Over 1 night I had dinos appear, the sight of the stringing, alge all over my tank was ridiculously vast, I quickly put a slide under my microscope to identify them, I had the most common of them all ,osopropisis " hope I spelled that right " after that I decided to maybe make this journey a learning one, I had researched all types of ways to rid them but the simple fact is that they are always present just dormant as others would say,
I will say I did not add a UV due to the fact i wanted to see if a lesser way could be achieved to make them dissappear to the naked eye, after hours under a microscope I had found a solution that acually started to slow them down and even eradicate them to some level,
I injected all sorts of different pods, bacteria, ect, vinegar, vodka,even algecide, during all this I also got my nutrients back in check to levels of P04-0.08 N03 8ppm,
After this method of wich I did I had seen dinos dissappear in around 2 weeks time to the naked eye.
First things first I stopped all feeding both frozen and dry, turned the skimmer offline, and had my filter socks ready, I adjusted my photo period to a total of 6hours along with reducing the intensity about 25% , next was the first Manuel removal with a sand vacuumed along with blowing the rocks and corals off with a pump, letting my sock catch what it could, under a microscope I can say my bacteria levels were very low along with my pod count.
I started with dosing 20ml of bacteria twice a day, morning and night, along with tige pods at the same time, also added 50mls of live phyto twice a day, after 1 week I started seeing a decline of dinos, no water change what so ever , I did yet another Manuel removal through a recirculating filter sock along with rock and coral blowing, after the second week dinos no longer visible "at least to the naked eye"
Now during this method I had been pulling samples from my filter socks and at heavy areas for the microscope slides, what I had noticed is that the pods and bacteria both played a role in keeping the dinos in check, from day 1 to now I still can see the dinos under a microscope slide but at the same magnification they are very small as compared to day 1, so dinos are always in the water just not visible, so when your nutrients bottom out they start to thrive and grow,
I hope this helps anyone, there is more detail in this journey but it's alot to write, I'd be plenty happy to answer anyone questions on any certain details needed thanks for reading

Back