Jestersix

Does anyone keep snakes?

richiev

Supporting Member
My 8yo is fixated on snakes. I have no history with them, nor real interest in them. I'm curious to hear if anyone here has kept them and your experience.

I used to breed Suriname red tailed boas and Green Iguanas. As for other reptiles/ Arachnids have had about everything under the sun at one point not to mention parrots as well. East Bay Vivarium in Berkeley is the go to spot for standard specimens otherwise their are numerous online breeders for anything else.
Best
Paul

I used to breed Suriname red tailed boas and Green Iguanas. As for other reptiles/ Arachnids have had about everything under the sun at one point not to mention parrots as well. East Bay Vivarium in Berkeley is the go to spot for standard specimens otherwise their are numerous online breeders for anything else.
Best
Paul
This store looks great, thanks for the call out.

I'm alternating between thinking snakes are a huge pita and they're super easy. They're not something I'd have much interest in, but he's been fixated for a long time on the idea, though hasn't had any real exposure to them.

Any suggestions on ways to get up close and personal with snakes? My ideal being some situation involving the full experience, including feeding frozen mice, so the full experience becomes real.

Snakes are easy. But they are more like a decoration than an interactive pet. Not very active pets. I will give you the same advice I have given all my friends. Get a pet because you want it. Invariably your kid will lose interest then it becomes your snake to take care of and they can live a long time.
With that being said some of the milk snakes, corn snakes, and king snake are pretty cool. Colorful, mellow, easy to maintain, can be handled, and don’t get to big.

G

I spent most of my life with snakes and various other reptiles. Many different species throughout the years. Bred a good amount of them as well. I'd be happy to help where I can. You can PM me if you want. Or continue the convo here too. Up to you. Or we can chat on the phone if that's easier for you.

If this becomes a reality, I have extra hides, heat pads, and various supplies you are welcome to have instead of buying. There are many ways to do this the right way and so many ways to do it wrong.
I'm alternating between thinking snakes are a huge pita and they're super easy.
They can be very easy...depending on the species, breeder/where you buy it from, and your husbandry. They can 100% turn into a PIA because of the species, where you bought it from, and your husbandry. Did that help? I'm guessing it didn't. Sorry. Just trying to be completely honest with you.

Has your kiddo shown a specific interest in a species or type?
They're not something I'd have much interest in, but he's been fixated for a long time on the idea, though hasn't had any real exposure to them.

Any suggestions on ways to get up close and personal with snakes? My ideal being some situation involving the full experience, including feeding frozen mice, so the full experience becomes real.
This is indeed the right approach and logic to make sure the entire process sinks in.

East Bay Vivarium is an amazing store. John, the owner is an awesome dude. Here's the thing, they can sometimes be a bit overwhelmed and busy. Going in there without much knowledge can be overwhelming. It would still be a wonderful experience for your kiddo, but be prepared to have the itch for a snake become more intense. As in cemented into a must have!

I would be more than happy with species selection if you get to that point. And I would more than likely refer you to a friend that would 100% help you select an animal that is eating and healthy. If you'd rather buy one from a pet store, I could lead you in the right direction there too.

@Corallus has some really beautiful ones.
I would hope so! Considering his username is one of my favorite genus. Corallis caninus being probably my favorite snake on the planet...and one I have never kept. I will someday though!

My two cents- make sure it’s something that isn’t big enough to eat your kid. Had a 17 & 21 foot python in high school and a couple others in college. Maybe others don’t have the same experience -but I found that the pythons do need constant handling otherwise they can be feral.

Don't do it. You'll wind up taking care of it and reptiles live a long time.

My 7yo daughter wanted a bearded dragon. We made her wait 6 months and checked out a bunch of shops and the reptile show to make sure she was really committed. Even after all that she lost interest pretty much immediately once we got it.

This store looks great, thanks for the call out.

I'm alternating between thinking snakes are a huge pita and they're super easy. They're not something I'd have much interest in, but he's been fixated for a long time on the idea, though hasn't had any real exposure to them.

PM me

Serious question which I know is going to trigger folks, but asking anyway: I haven't seen anything that says snakes bond with owners. They seem more handleable than say a chameleon, but don't seem to get attached like a dog or such.

What's then the expectation on keeping a snake for 10-20yrs until it dies of old age? Assuming it's taken care of, and ignoring costs, what's the harm in surrendering it back to a good shop, out reselling, years after you get it?

Not that that's a goal, but I can't imagine a first snake would be a forever snake, and I can't see keeping a bunch of them.

There are rescue places and they have full size stuff at the reptile shop even though breeders always do babies, but I never want to go that route.

I got her all set up with the nice T5 UVB light, driftwood and seriyu rocks, basking lamps I have to order from irresponsible amazon sellers who don't know/don't care that you can't sell halogens in CA. It's not the pet I'd choose but it's thriving and who knows who else would wind up with it.

If a pet having a long lifespan is not a positive, then maybe something else is a better pick. Advice I should have given myself earlier.

Don't do it. You'll wind up taking care of it and reptiles live a long time.

My 7yo daughter wanted a bearded dragon. We made her wait 6 months and checked out a bunch of shops and the reptile show to make sure she was really committed. Even after all that she lost interest pretty much immediately once we got it.
Know the story all too well. We have a crested gecko.

I spent most of my life with snakes and various other reptiles. Many different species throughout the years. Bred a good amount of them as well. I'd be happy to help where I can. You can PM me if you want. Or continue the convo here too. Up to you. Or we can chat on the phone if that's easier for you.

If this becomes a reality, I have extra hides, heat pads, and various supplies you are welcome to have instead of buying. There are many ways to do this the right way and so many ways to do it wrong.

They can be very easy...depending on the species, breeder/where you buy it from, and your husbandry. They can 100% turn into a PIA because of the species, where you bought it from, and your husbandry. Did that help? I'm guessing it didn't. Sorry. Just trying to be completely honest with you.

Has your kiddo shown a specific interest in a species or type?

This is indeed the right approach and logic to make sure the entire process sinks in.

East Bay Vivarium is an amazing store. John, the owner is an awesome dude. Here's the thing, they can sometimes be a bit overwhelmed and busy. Going in there without much knowledge can be overwhelming. It would still be a wonderful experience for your kiddo, but be prepared to have the itch for a snake become more intense. As in cemented into a must have!

I would be more than happy with species selection if you get to that point. And I would more than likely refer you to a friend that would 100% help you select an animal that is eating and healthy. If you'd rather buy one from a pet store, I could lead you in the right direction there too.

I would hope so! Considering his username is one of my favorite genus. Corallis caninus being probably my favorite snake on the planet...and one I have never kept. I will someday though!
I'm not a snake/reptile person but those critters make you fall in love with them; hopefully @Corallus will show some of his pets.

I'm not a snake/reptile person but those critters make you fall in love with them; hopefully @Corallus will show some of his pets.
Dito on the love! Had a pair of dog tooth Corallus back in the early 90's were definitely one of my favorites of all time! Turned out they were corallus batesii wondered why one got almost 9ft lol.. The yellow belly contrast with the green was amazing. I do plan to get another batesii or Madagascar tree B down the road have an uncle up in Portland that's been breeding rare morphs for a long time of ball pythons and Madagascar boas..

BAARS Is another good resource to reach out to. I would definitely reach out to them to see if they have a meeting coming up to check out. There are plenty of people willing to bring animals and possibly do a feeding demonstration to make sure they are up for it. They also have animals available at times, and could be a resource, should you ever decide to rehome the animal.

Back