Jestersix

Does My Clown Have Ich?

Yesterday I noticed one of my clowns, that I've had for several weeks now, has one white spot near the back of its body. Upon closer inspection it looks like its a grain of sand attached to its body. As I said, I've had them for several weeks and they have not shown any signs of ich until now and even then its only one spot on one fish. I looked again this morning to see if it was still there and it looks like it's still there but seems smaller if that even makes any sense. Do you all think this is ich? I also want to mention that it still has a ferocious appetite.

There's a possibility of ich for sure, but if it's only one spot and the fish is otherwise healthy, I would merely keep an eye on it and take very good care of the animal before taking any drastic steps.

Anybody else have any other thoughts on this? I don't know if I can set up a quarantine tank but from all my research that seems to be the best solution. Put it in a quarantine tank and do hypo or copper.

tuberider said:
but if it's only one spot and the fish is otherwise healthy, I would merely keep an eye on it and take very good care of the animal before taking any drastic steps

To emphasize that, I believe personally that catching/moving a fish would be considered a drastic step.

Adding to that, if it's just one, or two maybe spots on one fish and the fish really does eat well, swim fine, seem otherwise healthy, I wouldn't worry. My clowns and wrasse got a spot every now and then, but never had a true outbreak and they were fine till my tank hit 90* (eek! RIP wrassey). But maintaining good water quality and feeding quality food with some variation should be the most that I would suggest doing. Especially with clowns....them's some hardy lil buggers.

Back