Jestersix

Duncan Polyps Sliming Over

Couple of days ago I was looking at my Duncan and it appeared to have one branch with all the polyps contracted. As there was a hermit on it I wasn’t worried. The next day they were still contracted and there looked like a fuzzy haze on them. I got the turkey baster out and gave them a good blastt. What looked like the whole top of the polyp came off, but it was a solid cap of something. It was grey on top and black underneath where it rested on the polyp. Tonight they still haven’t opened and looks like the fuzzy layer/cap is growing back.

What is it? And should I do a H2O2 dip as a precaution or is there another treatment?

-Gregory

My duncan polyps retract for a few days when a new head is forming, but they don't develop the slime that you described & photographs. I'm stumped.

I'll keep blasting with the turkey baster and on Sun when I do a WC I'm going to do a H2O2 dip. It's just curious how there was no warning....one day they look great the next they're slimed over.

-Gregory

To me, that looks like it's getting stung. If possible look at the tank at night and see if anything is beating it up. If not, is this in your softy tank? Might be some allelopathy going on.

Duncans are quite tough ime, so I'd think bumping up the flow, a few extra wc's and maybe some (well rinsed ;) ) carbon might be in order.

Also iirc you mentioned recently a tank issue that required massive blender use? What was the issue and is this a response to that stress? If it is, then they should recover with no extra steps needed as long as the tank is back in shape.

As a final thought, if it was my coral I would feed it extra for a few weeks on all polyps that would take food.

You know...the other night I noticed that a candy cane not too far from it and up wind was getting some long sweepers. I never knew candy canes to be really agressive so I didn't think anything about it. I'll move it when I get home. Thanks for the idea.

The tank that required the "blender" was the DT. The duncan is in the nano which is pretty stable (except for some damn valonia that bloomed when the tank started getting some direct sun in the afternoon!).

It eats daily and well. Not an issue.

-Gregory

I'll bet it's that damn candy cane! Looking at the pic the candy cane is closest to the damaged area.... to the left and and slightly behind.

Thanks Gusty!

-Gregory

I was going to say that looks pretty much what half of my duncan looked like when it got too close to a hammer coral. It was messy and slimy.

Despite looking like they would recover half the heads ended up dying. Keep basting so that necrotic flesh doesn't accumulate. I don't think I was aggressive enough about that initially and had more dieoff than I should have had.

Shawn at Green Marine does have an ORA Duncan of the taller and more branchy variety. It reminded me of coast cypress ("Pebble Beach tree") the way the arms waved off the branches.

Back