got ethical husbandry?

Ecotech m1 issue

Ok no bueno, pump went out again and took it apart and soaking again, this time I put my finger in the pump wall, and I can feel that it’s not straight, but little swelling that caused the inner wall to be too tight for the propeller to spin freely? It’s weird that when I put the propeller in, and spun it, doesn’t feel anything that would stop it or rubbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ok no bueno, pump went out again and took it apart and soaking again, this time I put my finger in the pump wall, and I can feel that it’s not straight, but little swelling that caused the inner wall to be too tight for the propeller to spin freely? It’s weird that when I put the propeller in, and spun it, doesn’t feel anything that would stop it or rubbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thats the heating issue v1 vector had. Careful and do not use the pump. This issue cost me thousands in LPS, what is happening is that when pump run it heats up, magnet swell and start grinding against the inner housing. In my case it dumped so much metal partials and messed my water...

Your pump has the issue of the swelling plastic; send Ecotech a note; maybe a good will resolution since they offer their warranty to the original buyer.

Your pump has the issue of the swelling plastic; send Ecotech a note; maybe a good will resolution since they offer their warranty to the original buyer.

Actually, I’ve been treated very well by Ecotech’s tech support on second-hand equipment. I’ve had both a wet side and a dry side fail where they gave me a very attractive upgrade price on a new unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually, I’ve been treated very well by Ecotech’s tech support on second-hand equipment. I’ve had both a wet side and a dry side fail where they gave me a very attractive upgrade price on a new unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Same here. They changed my vectra L1 for me even thu it was way out if the warranty. Mainly because its their design flaws. But they did the right thing...

I have switched out two M1s and an L1 and received M2s and L2 because of the heating issue. All were out of warranty and two were second hand.

This is how my problem showed up. Notice the bumps on the inside of the pump.
B9669815-905F-4743-9E49-0475A57A7385.jpeg

Last edited:
so i got a new m2 instead but they forgot to send me the coupling kit for the m2... o_O:rolleyes:
They intentionally do that. The idea is that you would use the old one parts. They claim it is so you do not need to rip off the plumbing which is BS because if your old one broke on you, chances are you already ripped of the plumbing to put a new pump while waiting on the replacement.
I think its mainly to save on cost no more.

The M2 has a wider collar... so to use it, you would need to change out your return plumbing to 1" from 3/4". So, easiest would be to swap the volute.

It is not a free pump.
This is a replacement for a defective product that you bought...
I would agree except that it was bought used, and may well be past the warranty period. I also don't know the previous owner, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had occasional (or not) issues with it. The odds of the very first issue being the day it was brought home are low. If that's the case it was bought used and broken, and was still replaced.

While I've seen a few exceptions, I've had several things from another prominent aquarium company fail. Not only do they enforce their warranty stop dates and original owner requirements, they don't even always sell parts when you want to fix something.

I would agree except that it was bought used, and may well be past the warranty period. I also don't know the previous owner, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had occasional (or not) issues with it. The odds of the very first issue being the day it was brought home are low. If that's the case it was bought used and broken, and was still replaced.

While I've seen a few exceptions, I've had several things from another prominent aquarium company fail. Not only do they enforce their warranty stop dates and original owner requirements, they don't even always sell parts when you want to fix something.
Totally see your point.
The only reason I treat the vector differently is because it was a design defect that was caught and known, they just refused to do a recall rather gave instructions that there is an open warranty on these pumps to be replaced if they fail. Clearly the defect was so bad that any pump used long enough failed.

So to me ots not a warranty, this was suppose to be totally recalled.
Now, knowing how unregulated this industry is, you see all type of shady deals and customer abuse from products that are defective to flawed in the design most of which, vendor just keep quiet and let customer eat the cost until they release a V2..ecotech is not the only one guilty of this many others did similar..

Back