High Tide Aquatics

Ecotech m1 issue

To get the idea this is m1 part where nothing fits m2
28058be8d167f2402bada015d022175d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Totally see your point.
The only reason I treat the vector differently is because it was a design defect that was caught and known, they just refused to do a recall rather gave instructions that there is an open warranty on these pumps to be replaced if they fail. Clearly the defect was so bad that any pump used long enough failed.

So to me ots not a warranty, this was suppose to be totally recalled.
Now, knowing how unregulated this industry is, you see all type of shady deals and customer abuse from products that are defective to flawed in the design most of which, vendor just keep quiet and let customer eat the cost until they release a V2..ecotech is not the only one guilty of this many others did similar..
I do agree that it's in their best interest to replace it from a consumer confidence perspective. Ignoring the totality of "any pump", what other design flaws were accepted in a post warranty setting other than those and MP40 magnet failures?
I saw a lot of Maxspect Gyre cords have their cord insulation get brittle and split wide open within 12" of the motor block, and while I replaced several I never got one covered out of warranty, including one that was well into failure when noticed just a few months out of warranty.
The V1 PMUPs had an incorrectly designed impeller and fail regularly in the ~6 months out of warranty timeframe. I can buy an impeller for a cheap 20 year old Tetra HOB filter, but I couldn't buy an impeller for a 2 year old PMUP.

I'm actually quite interested in other examples of covered items because those are companies I'd like to direct my future purchases toward.

I might grant an exception to the masses of aquarium heaters that fail, but many of them have/had lifetime warranties to begin with.

I do agree that it's in their best interest to replace it from a consumer confidence perspective. Ignoring the totality of "any pump", what other design flaws were accepted in a post warranty setting other than those and MP40 magnet failures?
I saw a lot of Maxspect Gyre cords have their cord insulation get brittle and split wide open within 12" of the motor block, and while I replaced several I never got one covered out of warranty, including one that was well into failure when noticed just a few months out of warranty.
The V1 PMUPs had an incorrectly designed impeller and fail regularly in the ~6 months out of warranty timeframe. I can buy an impeller for a cheap 20 year old Tetra HOB filter, but I couldn't buy an impeller for a 2 year old PMUP.

I'm actually quite interested in other examples of covered items because those are companies I'd like to direct my future purchases toward.

I might grant an exception to the masses of aquarium heaters that fail, but many of them have/had lifetime warranties to begin with.
to my knowledge the ecotech thing is the most ownership example i have seen. i saw other bad examples from other big names, released a product that is flawed and did nothing to customers till they released a V2. some did not even admit the issue and let customers keep buying the flawed product.
for that i actually give a tip of the hat to ecotech at least they are changed what is reported as damaged.

Last edited:
to my knowledge the ecotech thing is the most ownership i have seen. i have seen other examples from big names, release a product that is flawed and did nothing to customers till they released a V2.
for that i actually give a tip of the hat to ecotech at least they are changed what is reported as damaged.

Agreed. And necessary for them to, well, have the reputation worthy of their price point and profit margin.

Back