Neptune Aquatics

Ecotech MP 10 for Reefer 350?

Hi All
So I made a impulse buying on 2x used MP 10 power head without doing research on my own tank. Now I realize website say max glass thickness on mp10 is 0.375 inch and my reefer 350 is 0.50 inch. I tried sticking on glass and wet & dry do stick. My question is should I try and use it or just a bad idea down the road and what's the side effect?
Is my first ecotech power head so please be gentle and enlight me.

Thank You

Attachments

• IMG_20220120_143145.jpg
    IMG_20220120_143145.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 95
Tank is still dry and won't be up for a while. Might as well trying to find mp40 and have a good start.
Thank you guys for the feedback

IME MP10s are too weak flow wise for the Reefer 350 which is a 4 foot tank. If it sticks on and works you'd probably have to run it at 100% to get sufficient flow. Which is not recommended.

Couple tips when buying used Vortechs:
1. Always run them in water and check to make sure they are not noisy. If they are noisy the bearings in the dry side needs to be replaced.
2. Always check the wet side. Take apart the wetside and check the magnet to make sure it did not burst. This can happen when it is cleaned in a strong solution of vinegar or citric acid. Ask the seller for pictures before hand.
3. Check to see which RF module it has in the driver. Green RF chip is for ReeflLink. Black RF chip is for Mobius. Some people will sell and swap out the more desirable Mobius RF module since they are in short supply and you can't find them for sale anywhere right now.

cd103aa23489aeb79ab34bd21abfdc5a.jpeg

MobiusRF.jpeg

IME MP10s are too weak flow wise for the Reefer 350 which is a 4 foot tank. If it sticks on and works you'd probably have to run it at 100% to get sufficient flow. Which is not recommended.

Couple tips when buying used Vortechs:
1. Always run them in water and check to make sure they are not noisy. If they are noisy the bearings in the dry side needs to be replaced.
2. Always check the wet side. Take apart the wetside and check the magnet to make sure it did not burst. This can happen when it is cleaned in a strong solution of vinegar or citric acid. Ask the seller for pictures before hand.
3. Check to see which RF module it has in the driver. Green RF chip is for ReeflLink. Black RF chip is for Mobius. Some people will sell and swap out the more desirable Mobius RF module since they are in short supply and you can't find them for sale anywhere right now.

View attachment 34833

View attachment 34832
Great information thanks
So far the magnet looks good, lucky me.
And also one has no chip and one has green chip. But both are QD

i had dual mp10s on my 350 before i got mp40s. they did stay secure to the side panels, but not the back. flow is okay, but depends on your coral goals. i run a sps dominate tank and had them running full 100% and still wasn't enough for my purpose. id go mp40s if i were you. you can keep the mp10s if you plan on a smaller tank/frag tank in the future.

i had dual mp10s on my 350 before i got mp40s. they did stay secure to the side panels, but not the back. flow is okay, but depends on your coral goals. i run a sps dominate tank and had them running full 100% and still wasn't enough for my purpose. id go mp40s if i were you. you can keep the mp10s if you plan on a smaller tank/frag tank in the future.
Yea I am going to switch to mp40 thanks for the tip.

Vortech QD pumps are always in demand so no worries. MP40QD would be much better. And operate standalone, connected to ecotechliv via reeflink or mobius if it has black mobius rf modules.

PS I have two mp10QD on an IM 25 gallon nano and two mo40qd in IM 75 gallon tank.

Back