Kessil

Eight's "Permafrost Archohelia Rediviva"

I purchased this coral from Liveaquaria three weeks ago. It was one of three pieces collected from deep waters in Australia. The colony that I got was the first one offered, the following two pieces that were collected (much smaller) sold within a week or so of the first piece. Here is the initial discussion thread on it: http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/7281

It's a non-photosynthetic coral which means it needs to be fed regularly. I have been feeding it between two and three times a week. I've fed it a combination of live bbs, decapsulated bbs, crushed formula one flake, frozen mysis (kinda too big though) and enriched frozen brine. In the three weeks that I've had it it has maintained it's white/blue/black color. Polyps are extended day and night, although it is puffier after a period of darkness.

I mounted the colony onto a larger piece of liverock and placed it at the bottom of my tank. Medium/low flow.

Frag was cut about 24 hours ago. It broke away cleanly and opened up right away. There are around 10 heads.

Mother colony (feeding on flake and bbs):

548200298_82Ntc-M.jpg

Frags:

548200198_dJuTf-M.jpg

Close up of frag:

548200243_48rF5-M.jpg

Requirements:

1) This frag will go to established/experienced LPS keepers only. I really want this one to survive, so please don't ask to be considered unless you've got an established tank and good success with LPS corals (non-photosynthetic experience preferred). That said, qualified keepers, please speak up!

2) Commit to feeding it at least 2x per week while it's in your care. If you find that you can no longer feed it consistently, no shame, but please pass it on to someone who will feed it.

3) Must return two frags to DBTC before trading/selling

4) Bump me to top if I lose mine

5) Must have a tank journal

6) Pick up at my house in San Jose or at a club event (if there's a convenient one coming up... not sure what I am attending yet)

7) Pick a number between 1 and 100. Frag will go to the qualified keeper who guesses closest. I'll chose the winner this weekend.

I'm pretty sure the red bugs and monti eating nudis would be food for this bad boy.
I'll pick 49. If I win it I'll give it to Greshem.

Jason, very nice offering. Good thing my DBTC Karma is recovering or I would consider dropping a number. My tank needs to progress some too. More non-photos are on the short list as feeding my dendro is a great show.

I look forward to watching this gal move around the club, and seeing it in your tank.

Thanks,

While I'm not the most qualified here, I do have good experience with LPS and believe that the key to good LPS/SPS growth is feeding manually.
This is a truly awsome coral that I would be more then happy to propigate and pass on.

I'll guess 79.

thanks.

5) Must have a tank journal
Just a journal or a active posting thread? Mine is uber old and outdated but until my new system is done I am not posting anything about my set-up :)

I suck at feeding though.... :lol: yah right :p

Well, what I'd like most is periodic updates on the coral, so if you don't have a formal tank thread, but promise to psuedo regularly post and provide photos then that's fine.

I do believe you'd feed it properly. :p

Oh that part is no problem. I just don't want to update full tank shots. My new system is coming along nicely and I want to wait to start a fresh new thread so I can forget the current set-up I am cursed with, I mean blessed with :D

Well, if there's no tank journal requirement, I'd be interested as well. I promise to feed regularly and update w/ pics on at least a periodic basis. And of course, I'll pick 42.

Ok guys, the number was 86, so Chris gets the frag. I don't think I will make it to Baymac, so it'd be best if you can pick up at my place in North San Jose. PM me to coordinate. :)

LordHelmet said:
Thankyou for the chance to Prop this coral. I will update often with pictures.

Chris
And if you could save them somewhere at full size it would be much appreciated! Same for your pics Mr. 8, if you could.

I went to take a look at the Frag today and saw something interesting right by the coral. I ran and grabbed my camara and snapped a few shots, this one was the best.
It right on top, I'm kinda pissed about this one.

Attached files

sorry it's not in focus, I wasn't trying to get a pic of the coral but of the perfectly clear Mantis shrimp. how that little bugger got in there I'll never know.

Ooh, naughty shrimp. I have a cleaner and a peppermint in my tank who *always* raid my Archohelia colony. Super annoying. Thankfully it doesn't look like they do any damage to the polyps.

They're getting brave too and aren't afraid of the turkey baster....

Back